Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool Refrigerator Icemaker Issues (WSF26C3EXF01)  (Read 205 times)

Offline Agrajag

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Refrigerator Icemaker Issues (WSF26C3EXF01)
« on: January 09, 2020, 02:35:39 PM »

I own an aging Whirlpool Side-by-Side refrigerator that we're trying to hang on to until some, hopefully, more reliable refrigerator models come out, but it's doing its best to thwart our efforts to keep it alive.

A while back the ice maker started acting up where it SEEMED the motor died, but upon checking it, the motor was just fine. It just wasn't getting power. I traced the issue to a short in the wiring below the left door which includes a wiring harness of six wires. On closer inspection I found that three of the wires were open and one had burn marks on it from shorting. I replaced those three wires (Green/yellow, black/grey, blue/something) and things initially appeared to be fixed. We ended up having ice again for the first time in weeks. Everyone in the house was surprisingly elated (it's always funny how much you miss small luxuries when they're gone).

Then we noticed that the icemaker was acting up, but differently. It now won't stop making ice as if the side sensors in the tray are not working. Ice would keep getting made, fill the bucket and then overflow into the actual icemaker unit. So, to buy time I turned off the switch on the left side of the bucket to turn off the icemaker. I woke up the next morning (today) to an overflowing bucket. Clearly the switch is being ignored.

Does anyone have ideas on how to troubleshoot this now? I'm thinking of just replacing the three other wires, but it's not a fun job as you only have a few inches to work with down there before the wires disappear into the left door assembly.

Thanks!