Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG Dryer DLGX8001V drum won't spin  (Read 268 times)

Offline MAK

• VIP Member
LG Dryer DLGX8001V drum won't spin
« on: January 05, 2020, 01:10:11 PM »

Hello All:

I have an LG Gas Dryer, DLGX8001V, that turns on and acts normal, indicators says "drying" and the timer will count down but the drum never spins and I do not feel any heat. I hear a faint click when the start is pressed, sounds like it is coming from the circuit board box in the top center of the machine. After the first click and nothing happens there is a short pause and then a second click is heard. All LED's are normal and when I run the Smart Diagnosis it says everything is working fine.

In the dyer's diagnostic test mode all LED's are lit and the following is seen repeating:

15:95
    U16
    d12

Otherwise there is no discernable obvious cause. The belt is fine and the drum is able to be turned by hand and I do not hear the motor running. There is no noticeable issues seen when viewing the circuit board but I can't rule out a bad component. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

MAK

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
Re: LG Dryer DLGX8001V drum won't spin
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 10:20:00 PM »
Check for a broken belt, open blower thermal fuse or a defective belt switch.

Offline MAK

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 02:06:11 PM »
Thanks for the reply. The belt is intact. I guess I will need to dig deeper. I downloaded the tech manual I found online but it appears a bit limited. Hopefully I can find the belt switch mentioned and thermal fuse.

Interestingly when I called LG for support to get an idea on the repair charges, they quoted me with an initial charge of $125 to have a tech diagnose the problem and then a charge for the replacement part along with another visit charge for the installation of said part. When I mentioned I may look inside to see if it was anything obvious and simple; she said LG does not sell parts to consumers and if I did any repair on the dryer myself that the LG tech if used would refuse to work on the dryer. What??? Its not like I will lose warranty repair service as they only offer a year it is now 2 years out from the purchase. Which reminds me I may want to check my credit card company to see if they offered an extension.

Offline MAK

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 03:58:37 PM »
Ok after opening up the dryer and as I was removing the motor I noticed a wire had burned off on the motor switch. Is this what is called the centrifugal switch?

I would like to order a replacement switch as I hate to have to replace an entire motor. I am unable to fine a replacement online, PMS004-1.

I am thinking of just soldering the wire back on. Any thoughts about this? Not sure why it would have burnt off in the first place.

Offline MAK

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 07:50:42 PM »
I attached the wire back to the motor and all is well again. The dryer is tumbling and heating as it should. It is a shame that one would need to replace the entire motor instead of just the switch. Seems a waste to me.

Thanks to all that assisted myself in others to crack open there appliances and look inside. This forum and Youtube gave me the confidence to at least look along with the quote from the local repairman of $480 to replace the motor. Actually at first he said it was the control board. I don't know how I missed the wire in the first go round.

Thanks All.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 12:58:27 AM »
POssibly the wire solder joint or connection was not  good quality. You may be able to use this for a long time or maybe not depending on the quality of the repair. I have done this type of repair but not on this brand and you may get lucky.