Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GSH22JSTESS Main Board Replaced but now fresh food is freezing in refrigerator  (Read 378 times)

Offline humanpowered

• VIP Member

Hi,

Would appreciate some insight.

I have a GSH22JSTESS refrigerator, S/N: SM210979.

Recently, it stopped cooling/freezing.

Lights were working.

I was able to hear a relay clicking, but nothing would engage - even after unplugging and waiting up to 30 minutes.

So I ordered a replacement board, WR55X10942 - which was recommended by several online retailers.

After replacing the board, the refrigerator turned on and everything works...

except that now the refrigerator side is too cold - freezing just about everything.

On the instructions, there is mention of certain models (based on serial number) needing the wire coming into pin 2 on the J1 connector cut.

Since my serial number doesn't meet those criteria, I did not cut anything. The pins on my J1 don't match the diagram in instructions anyway.

Does anyone have advice on what to do next?

~Matt

I've attached a pic of connectors.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Information about a Mylar- Damper,most have a electrical damper. Set both controls on 5 and 5 Attaching tech sheet and information about that mylar Damper if you have it which seems to be the case. Also no need to cut anything on your model. Possible bad fresh food thermistor or Mylar is stuck open take a look. Here is some information from here. https://www.appliancepartspros.com/questions-for-ge-damper-cover-asm-wr13x10988-ap5795735.html

Offline humanpowered

• VIP Member
That may be an issue.

Since I wasn't having an issue with it before the board replacement I don't want to be so quick to jump to conclusion that this part is also bad (at least just yet!).

I wonder if the board itself may be a defective one.

Thank you for the manuals! They are helpful.

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
Take a look at the thermistors. If the end where the wires come out is grey epoxy I would suspect them. But look at the damper first.

Offline humanpowered

• VIP Member
I've tested the thermistors with a multimeter and all is ok there. I'll have to take a look at the damper next..
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 05:57:45 PM by humanpowered »