Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Wiring Gremlins?  (Read 143 times)

Offline BRASSWTFO

• VIP Member
Wiring Gremlins?
« on: December 21, 2019, 07:23:24 PM »

Ok fellas, this one has a few of us stumped. My mom bought a new stove like 15 years ago. I was not involved then, but it wasn't working right so I heard that my uncle fixed it and didn't think much else of it. Turns out that the 4 wire was not providing proper voltage for the control panel so he made a jumper that plugged into an adjacent 120v outlet. I found this lovely item by getting shocked by the back fed wire while changing an outlet.   After investigating my friend and I discovered that the wires at the back of the stove had appropriate voltage when they are not attached to the stove. 240v from black to red. 120v from each one to the neutral. As soon as the wires are put on the stove, they go nuts. 240v between red and neutral. 240v between red and black. 4v between black and neutral. 120v between black and ground. 120v between red and ground. 120v between neutral and ground. We assumed it was a bad control panel in the stove.

She just bought a brand new stove. And the same problem exists. I have replaced the breaker and the stove wire.  I am at a loss and nobody I know has anymore ideas. Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline manden

• Technician
Re: Wiring Gremlins?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 04:22:07 AM »
OK if I understand you the hook up wire is connected directly to the terminal strip.
You are not using a receptacle and a stove line cord.
Correct?

If yes then I would say your problem is in the breaker box.
So I would carefully inspect the connections there.
May be time to get in an electrician.

Your mom is lucky that the house did not burn down!!!

Offline BRASSWTFO

• VIP Member
Re: Wiring Gremlins?
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 04:14:23 PM »
Found the problem. had a bad neutral in the wire from the box to the stove. Replaced and all works as it should now.