Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Any ideas? Squeaky and tangling clothes...  (Read 271 times)

Offline ameritech

• VIP Member
    • AmeriTech Appliance Repair
Any ideas? Squeaky and tangling clothes...
« on: December 17, 2019, 11:52:13 AM »

I’ve got two perplexing problems to two different washers: The first is a newer Maytag – commercial technology Toploader ( basically a Cabrio). MOD: MVWB765FW1. There is a high-pitched squeak during agitation. Everything works fine otherwise. No error codes. I pulled the agitator certain I would find something stuck down in there --but nothing. After more checking, I’m almost certain the squeak is coming from the rotor and stator, but I have no idea why. I found some possible wear on the rotor– the edges were a little bit beveled, but  nothing too crazy. I’ve seen that we’re on other motors with no problem.

The other is a Maytag centennial about 11 years old (VMW style).MOD: MVWC200XW2.  no error codes and all cycles work but it’s tangling up the clothes extremely so during agitation. I bypassed the lid lock so I could open it up and see what was going on during agitation, and the best way I can describe it it was like it was partially spinning during agitation— The basket was not stationary. Which resulted in the clothes becoming completely tangled.

I welcome any and all ideas, even from left field! I checked with a buddy of mine – the guy who trained me at Sears years ago, And he couldn’t help me. Which is saying a lot—  he’s seen quite a bit.

Thank you!

Jared
AmeriTech

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
Re: Any ideas? Squeaky and tangling clothes...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 03:51:33 PM »
Hello Ameritech,your are from The Sears,so you are familiar with this type of machines.I won't know about the first washer.The second washer is spinning when agitating,even though slowly.you know about Old Frigidaire washer,the spin tub is indexing when agitating.The spin tub moves and stops,does not keep turning.So the clothing does not Tangle.If your machine keeps turning when agitating,clothing will wrap around the agitator.So the problem is really in your transmission,which is not indexing properly or the tub is not supposed to turn when agitating.I haven't seen such problem before.I would be interested to learn more about it .Good luck!