Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Kenmore 106722541 coldspot freezer too warm...looks like power faltering?  (Read 1071 times)

Offline impuzzled

• VIP Member

Very inexperienced in these things but I remember being able to replace the fan some years back. It's been a great freezer considering it's many years. Recently it got too warm so disconnected it. Over the years it always  had some small ice build up on the bottom. I plug it in and stuff seems to be running. The fan is running fine I see. What it's doing is like the power falters. The sound changes and the light dims for a second. It just keeps doing this. Any ideas on where to go next? Thanks
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 03:49:39 PM by impuzzled »

Offline impuzzled

• VIP Member
Re: Kenmore 106722541 coldspot freezer too warm...looks like power faltering?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 12:22:31 PM »
It's like it's trying to run normally but seems like a strain is put on it somewhere and then you hear the running sound change and the inner light bulb dim slightly.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 12:46:28 PM »
Model number is wrong. Sounds like from the limited information compressor maybe cycling off on the overload. Pull  refrigerator out and see if compressor is running. Do you hear a hum and a click.If so, possible bad relay that starts compressor or bad compressor. Correct model number would be nice and see if compressor is running.

Offline impuzzled

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 05:43:52 PM »
Since I'm a real beginner at things like this I really appreciate your reply. Soon I'll be pulling it out and giving it a listen with it in mind. As rough as this picture looks that old freezer has been going like a champ for a long time so I hope there's some hope. Thanks
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 05:45:23 PM by impuzzled »

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 06:45:06 PM »
My fault that is a good model number.Sorry about that. Let us know if you hear the compressor running and there should be a fan by the compressor that should be running anytime the compressor is running. O0

Offline impuzzled

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 02:41:14 PM »
OK. I turned it around and plugged it in. The back fan (and front fan) are running and it's frequently clicking. I made a video of it. https://youtu.be/lzEnEU-hQeo
Thanks for further advice!

Offline impuzzled

• VIP Member
Well, it's warm enough to go out in the carport and try to see if this thing can run again. I'd appreciate some help in finding the type of relay for this. Some kind of universal one for this old model. It's a gamble that it would work but I hope worth a try. Thanks

Offline impuzzled

• VIP Member
A better view. Thanks

Offline impuzzled

• VIP Member
I put a 3n1 in and it started the compressor and running smooth. No clicking, sound of compressor faltering or light flickering like before. Now after 2 days running it only gets down to 32 at the bottom and doesn't freeze an ice gel pack at the top. Is it possible that it's low on freon? Both fans are working. Just checked it again on the 3rd day running. It's 10 at the bottom but still not freezing the gel pack on the top shelf. I didn't put the cover over the inside fan if that has any significance. Thanks for advice.

Offline manden

• Technician
Yes not having the evaporator cover on will make a difference.
It directs the air through the evaporator to cool it.

Offline impuzzled

• VIP Member
Good to know.  This morning the temp on the floor was 5 although the gel on the top shelf still wasn't frozen. Back when I noticed this freezer wasn't working right the top shelf was starting to thaw but the bottom stuff stayed frozen so hopefully not exactly the same. I didn't measure the temps back then but for sure it was clicking and dimming and it's not doing that now. I'll put the cover back on. Thanks.

Offline impuzzled

• VIP Member
Put the cover on. I had several ice packs but realized the one on top was a medical one and wasn't meant to freeze. Got down to -5. Decided it was worth chance to defrost the small, very old but mighty freezer which doesn't defrost by itself. Filled up the lower 2/3 and next day at 0 and today at -5. So pretty pleased.Getting that defrost done was good and fingers crossed it lasts awhile. Nice having that extra space. Thanks for the advice.

Offline impuzzled

• VIP Member
Oops. It was -5 for a few days, then -2, then 0. This morning 13 and tonight 17 so that's disappointing. Waiting for some days nowto hear back from our heater-air guy who used to have some Freon.  :(

Offline Pnwdad1981

• Technician
  • Professional appliance tech for over a decade
In the mean time Id order a CD5514 valve to braze on so you can get that refrigerant in there ;)
🌲PNW Chris🌲

Offline impuzzled

• VIP Member
Good to know. I think the old guy who used to work on this and the other fridge put some Freon in it 6-8 years ago. Unfortunately he's not around anymore. I wonder if he would have put that on. I'll look it up on the internet and see if I can see where it might be located if he did. Thanks!

Offline manden

• Technician
It stayed at -5 for a couple days so I doubt it is low freon.

Sounds more like a defrost problem to me.

Pull the cover again and check the evaporator coil.
If it is heavily iced/frosted over then it is a defrost problem.

Offline impuzzled

• VIP Member
Interesting! I'll unload it and have a look.  I ran across a picture from 2016 that I took showing how you could see a pipe covered with frost. I've forgotten what I did back then but it must have been having a problem that got fixed. It's been running for years until this last problem and had a tendency to build up an inch of clear ice on the bottom. Thanks!

Offline impuzzled

• VIP Member
It took me around 10 minutes to get the stuff out as I left the freezer running. Then I turned it off and took the cover off. No ice. This is a video from then.
https://youtu.be/eQDJr6ujyYM
Also I looked in the back and didn't see any valve for putting in freon. I guess I was remembering when the guy came out and  must have put Freon in the heater. Thanks.

Offline impuzzled

• VIP Member
Left it running overnight but only 28 this morning. Put my hand on the compressor and it's only warm.  ???

Offline manden

• Technician
OK Looks like it is a sealed system problem.

Probably not worth fixing as you need a pro.