Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool Cabrio WTW8500BW0 - acting weird  (Read 141 times)

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Whirlpool Cabrio WTW8500BW0 - acting weird
« on: November 18, 2019, 06:13:33 PM »

I’m working on a Whirlpool Cabrio Washer WTW8500BW0 - Original problem was washer stays stuck on drain cycle and stalled. Went to house ran diagnostics with only F71 error code/SD error. Basket would not float so I 1st replaced RPS Sensor no luck. Drain pump drains water with no issues so I decided to replace the center shaft with tub seal kit. When removing the tub the tub did not slide out on center tub shaft I had to beat the shaft out of tub because it was partially rusted and binding to shaft. Replace tub seal, bearings and shaft in the kit. Tub slides and floats as normal but now after running diagnostics the washer goes thru C0, C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, C7 but gets stuck on C8

C8 = tech sheet says “Drain to basket engaged plus timed drain for 10 seconds. “BEST” LED ON. If water is not draining go to Manual: Pump test page 2.  If basket does not engage determine cause of friction.  The washer will not advance past C8 automatically unless I manually advance it by Pressing the membrane button used to get it into diagnostics.

I ran diagnostics again with no errors and it stalls at position C8 - I also put the washer in speed wash and washer locks up in pause mode at the 15 minute mark left on the cycle.  Any technician out there ever have this issue and if so how to correct the problem  could use your input thank you !

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
FIXED UPDATE !! Re: Whirlpool Cabrio WTW8500BW0 - acting weird
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 10:28:52 AM »
Here’s the FIX !! F71 Error and SD Suds Error - Washer will not finish its cycle - Diagnostic cycle will not advance through all the diagnostic Cycles - Fixed!!

Ran diagnostics one more time with C8 stalling in it’s position. So I decided to pop off the agitator and hub and double check the hub and it was very tough to get the hub off once I got it off I noticed the inner lower portion of the hub was worn and partially stripped So I decided since I replace the inner tub seal and bearings with gasket kit I would replace the hub assembly with part number W10820039 once I replaced it with the new Hub BINGO everything worked perfectly.

The computer board senses the RPM of the drum and if it doesn’t catch up to speed it will continue to pulse the agitator when in reality the lower basket hub is stripped and cannot grip the agitator or basket  to allow it to get up to full speed spin. A dead giveaway would be the basket and agitator are actually spinning in a opposite directions. And the agitator is actually pulsing instead of agitating - hope this solves a lot of headaches!

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
Re: Whirlpool Cabrio WTW8500BW0 - acting weird
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 09:36:20 AM »
Thank you Blaiser for posting this unusual double problem.You have lots of patience to observe and get it done.It's a good lesson for me.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool Cabrio WTW8500BW0 - acting weird
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 09:42:34 AM »
We learn something new everyday! I’m hoping anyone with these stalling problems on these vertical modular washers all tie together to the Bad Stripped HUB. Had many in past with same issues but couldn’t solve! Literally the washing machine acted totally different the minute the new hub was installed (FIXED) !