Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Dryer exhaust vent piping  (Read 981 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Dryer exhaust vent piping
« on: November 15, 2019, 03:32:49 PM »

Lately I have sold a couple of dryers  that were returned in less than a week  with the complaint that the unit would not heat. In checking these units when they were returned most have popped the thermal fuse. My experience is that they have this problem due to restriction in the exhaust vent piping. Since I dont see the installation after it leaves my garage I cant tell but wondered if some of you have noted this problem and what if anything you have done about it. I always demonstrate these dryers at my garage before they leave my property and they all work properly.

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
Re: Dryer exhaust vent piping
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 06:13:44 PM »
Give them a written warranty that specifically excludes tripped safety devices caused by improper installation.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 03:59:02 PM »
This situation on improper vent  piping is getting to be bad news. I took back a dryer since the folks who bought it complained it would not heat after one day of use. In checking the thermal fuse it was open. I replaced it and told them they would have to revise the vent piping at their house  or it would happen again. These fuses are costing me about $15 and I wondered if any one has a cheaper source of these thermal fuses that are reliable.

Offline def

• VIP Member
  • I'll fix anything...sometimes, I'm successful.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 01:59:54 PM »
Recently, I have noticed my electric Frigidaire dryer cabinet has been getting warmer than usual when running. Also, the clothes need much longer dry times before they are dry. So, I suspected the dryer exhaust vent was blocked. My vent system consists of about 10 feet of flexible, foil type vent pipe that extends through the laundry room floor and connects to the vent fitting at the side of the house. A thorough blowing with my powerful shop vac yielded lots of dust, lint and dirt expelled from the vent pipe. I also took this occasion to blow out the air passages in the dryer. There was lots of lint in the dryer itself even though the lint screen is empties before each use.

I suspect that rigid galvanized style vent pipe might not block with lint. I am contemplating changing my vent system to rigid stove pipe style vent with the flexible used only for transitions and joints.

After cleaning, the flex vent is free and flowing dryer air without restriction. Clothes now dry much quicker. I use only the lowest heat setting on both my clothes dryers to preserve the belt and save energy.

What are your thoughts?
I used to repair MK56 GFCS RADAR...now, I'm a farmer.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 04:36:50 PM »
The length of dryer vent pipe sound like it is a little long. You will probably need to clean this out more often.

Offline def

• VIP Member
  • I'll fix anything...sometimes, I'm successful.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 03:18:31 PM »
The first cleaning in 12 years. so, I was likely overdue. As you suggest, a more frequent blowout with the shop vac is advisable.
I used to repair MK56 GFCS RADAR...now, I'm a farmer.

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 12:45:23 AM »
You can often find TCOs and thermal fuses at electronics jobbers like Mouser or DigiKey.

Offline jeff5may

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 08:08:35 AM »
Check out Luna parts. I'm getting 10 packs of the black and white stick style thermal fuses for 1.00 to 1.50 per fuse, shipped. On the heating element side, I always change the high limit thermostat and thermal fuse together. Those are about 3.50 per kit when you buy a 10 pack.