Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Gfss6kkyess  (Read 200 times)

Offline Countryside86

• Technician
Gfss6kkyess
« on: November 13, 2019, 04:04:15 PM »

Refrigerator  drain keeps freezing up. Does anyone know of a way to keep from happening.  Steamed  out drain and ran weed whip string thru it but it filled up and froze over in 4 weeks. It is not impeded at the drain (duckbill) no water or ice there, it is clogging up the tube further. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.  Thx Richard

Offline manden

• Technician
Re: Gfss6kkyess
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 04:42:37 AM »
There are a couple things to try.

First check the actual temperature using a thermometer just to be sure you are not running too cold.

Clean and wax the drip tray under the evaporator coils. This should speed up the draining preventing drops from building up at the drain and freezing eventually plugging the drain.

Add a drain heater. Looks like the defrost heater is a calrod (ceramic) type. Take a length of bare copper wire (12 or 14 gauge will do), wrap it snugly around the defrost heater a couple times.
The other end goes down the drain a couple inches. Try to get it so that it does not touch anything else. Now when it defrost it also defrosts the drain.
It is  good idea to let the unit get cold and force a defrost then check how warm the wire gets just to be sure you do not get too hot.

Offline Countryside86

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 01:23:03 PM »
Thx ill try the drain heater, the part that gets me is tthat it was frozen down to about 8 inches down the tube

Offline manden

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 02:36:31 PM »
Those duckbills are a pain in the you know what.

Since it is frozen I would also suspect it.
Perhaps is is draining out too slow.
I would double check it.
Take a look at the drain in a parts site perhaps it has been updated/upgraded.
Many duckbills have been replaced with different drains.

Offline dishdr

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 09:35:32 PM »
I have had this problem as well. GE/Samsung has come out with an upgraded drain heater that is longer and actually extends down into the drain hole. It is a simple upgrade which just drops down onto the heater and is squeezed to secure. I will get the part number and post later.

Offline Countryside86

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:07:30 PM »
Went back and thawed drain out again and added a piece of copper wire to the defrost heater to make a drain heater.we will see if that helps,but again it was froze down tube to about 10 inches,the rest of the tube was free of ice or water.also used air compressor with blow nozzle and blew air down drain tube in case there was something slowing drain process down inside tube. But both times after clear8ng ice from the tube i could pour water down drain with no backup  up the tube.thx for responses