Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Amana top load washer lwa 40 AW2  (Read 109 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Amana top load washer lwa 40 AW2
« on: November 13, 2019, 08:13:28 AM »

I am currently working on this washer and am considering taking it further apart to put in a new seal under the wash basket and  flange.  It leaks slightly during a wash cycle. I can easily replace the top seal  but thought I should   replace the bearings and a seal  further down.  In order to get this apart it appears that a large hex nut must be removed. This nut is 1.5" across the flats . A special tool from Amana or Speed Queen with p/n TB123 is possibly needed. I can borrow this tool but wondered if anyone has just used a pipe wrench to remove it. I dont want to destroy it.  input is needed from anyone familar with this model and removal of this nut.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Amana top load washer lwa 40 AW2
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 10:51:01 AM »
I was able to make a wrench from a 1.5" socket and a piece of flat steel plate . The flat piece of steel plate approx 8" long X 2.5" wide was welded to the socket on the drive end. Using a short stub hammer I was able to remove the hex nut. The flange cannot be removed however. All of the exposed parts were cleaned using a wire brush. A new top seal was installed . A new bell adaptor and agitator was installed and the wash basket was reinstalled and a wash cycle initiated. No water leaks . I dont want to remove any more parts and will sell this as noted.