Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Samsung Microwave melted power supply wire on PCB  (Read 102 times)

Offline Bretylium

  • VIP Member
  • Member Since: Nov 2019
  • Posts: 2
Samsung Microwave melted power supply wire on PCB
« on: November 04, 2019, 07:16:44 PM »

I recently was using my microwave and noticed a slight burning smell when cooking. The microwave worked fine and today I noticed it was off. Taking it apart I found a burnt lead on the power supply board on the neutral wire. The fuse is still good it did not blow. I noticed this morning that the clock was WAY off in the time after I just set it after daylight savings change (I think this may have indicated improper Hertz to control board?). I run this off of a power strip plugged to wall with a toaster oven on same strip (I never run both at once!). Anyone have an idea how this happened? It's a newer model Samsung MS14K600AS. Photos attached- Thanks!

Offline tcarmen

  • Technician
  • Member Since: Dec 2018
  • Posts: 76
Re: Samsung Microwave melted power supply wire on PCB
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 07:47:13 PM »
The charred connector is from the connector being loose for quite a while. It has nothing to do with daylight savings time or power strips

The wire needs to be replaced. You would need to lookup the correct Samsung part.

It's possible the board it connects to will also need to be replaced unless the terminal can be cleaned up enough to be shiny and bright. It's hard to tell from the picture.

Also, unless you actually know what you're doing in there, I would suggest that you put the cover back on and take it somewhere to be fixed, or throw it out and buy a new one. It's entirely possible for it to kill you even if it's unplugged.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 07:49:31 PM by tcarmen »

Offline Bretylium

  • VIP Member
  • Member Since: Nov 2019
  • Posts: 2
Re: Samsung Microwave melted power supply wire on PCB
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 09:12:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I understand that the appliance can hold a residual charge in it for quite awhile after being unplugged and can be dangerous, I have to test the outlet to see if there is proper voltage and cycles coming from the outlet it was attached in addition to replacing the wires (after it sits for a week or so to discharge)Can I just get a similar connector from a electronics distributor and replace the connector or should I get the entire wire assembly?  I can clean the terminals to bright shiny again with a bit of tooling.

Offline tcarmen

  • Technician
  • Member Since: Dec 2018
  • Posts: 76
Re: Samsung Microwave melted power supply wire on PCB
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 09:40:43 PM »
I'd replace everything that's damaged with the correct parts from the manufacturer.