Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG Dryer does not power on  (Read 186 times)

Offline rodfeliu

• VIP Member
LG Dryer does not power on
« on: October 15, 2019, 01:22:31 PM »

Hello,

My LG dryer (DLE2301W) would not power on. The light would come on when I opened the door though. After some troubleshooting (and with some help from this forum) I figured out that there was a burnt component on the control board. See picture attached.

I replaced the board myself and the dryer is now working happily. However, I am curious as to what the burnt component is, or what caused it to burn out. If it burned once, it is likely to do it again. I want to make sure I fix the problem and not just treat the symptom. Maybe it's a design issue, or an age issue (the dryer is 10 years old after all). Or maybe there is something that caused the connector to overheat and burn out.

Any thoughts or ideas welcome.

Thanks!
Rodrigo

Offline manden

• Technician
Re: LG Dryer does not power on
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 10:32:40 AM »
Looks to me that it got hot at a connector.

Probably just a bad solder joint on the board.

Offline rodfeliu

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 10:35:05 AM »
Looks to me that it got hot at a connector.

Probably just a bad solder joint on the board.

You are probably correct. But it took 10 years to burnout? Maybe so. Seems to be a common problem too, lots of people with the same issue.

Thanks for the reply!

Offline manden

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 04:04:44 PM »
Yes that is how it goes.

A bad solder joint is a resistance so when current passes through it it heats up, this further degrades the joint causing more heat and so no and so on till the joint fails.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 04:34:42 PM »
I repaired a circuit board last week from a 10 year old dryer.  A solder joint was the problem ---not the component itself. It is not uncommon to see this type of problem on electronic circuit boards-- sometimes in a year and sometimes it takes 10 years  or more to show up. The factory soldering takes place in an automated process. Most of these are really pretty good but some are borderline for long life.

Offline rodfeliu

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 04:56:50 PM »
I repaired a circuit board last week from a 10 year old dryer.  A solder joint was the problem ---not the component itself. It is not uncommon to see this type of problem on electronic circuit boards-- sometimes in a year and sometimes it takes 10 years  or more to show up. The factory soldering takes place in an automated process. Most of these are really pretty good but some are borderline for long life.

Thanks . . . I guess I just hope this new board I replaced it with last another 10 years   :D