Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Gas control valve solenoid coils  (Read 216 times)

Online Thorning

• Technician
Gas control valve solenoid coils
« on: October 19, 2019, 08:48:45 AM »

On many of the gas dryers I work on with a solenoid coil problem it is usually the 2 prong coil that is the problem. The 3 prong coil  is left over when I replace these as a set. I have a lot of them in my junk box.  I know the connector on the wire harness is different but I got to thinking could I use the 3 prong coil with appropriate wire connector in place of the 2 prong at least as a temporary fix if I dont have a new set with me ? Any of you repair guys ever considered this  approach ?

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
Re: Gas control valve solenoid coils
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 02:54:23 PM »
If you do something like that even if you might be able to get it to run, and there was a fire, guess who the lawyers would come looking for!!! And, your insurance folks wouldn't even know you, since you violated the contract you had with them!!!  Don't try it!

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 04:45:32 PM »
On many of the gas dryers I work on with a solenoid coil problem it is usually the 2 prong coil that is the problem. The 3 prong coil  is left over when I replace these as a set. I have a lot of them in my junk box.  I know the connector on the wire harness is different but I got to thinking could I use the 3 prong coil with appropriate wire connector in place of the 2 prong at least as a temporary fix if I dont have a new set with me ? Any of you repair guys ever considered this  approach ?

The coils are all different; the resistance is different and the magnetic pull is different.

They're really cheap. The Whirlpool kit is about $7.50 IIRC.

I'd never use one instead of the other. In fact, I always change them as a pair.

Terry

Online Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 05:21:18 PM »
Thanks for the input. Idont see any way to do it either.

Online Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 09:02:57 AM »
I always replace them in pairs - for the price your not saving anything but costing YOU another service call time and labor

The 2 Prong coil should read 1,000 - 1,300 ohms on Pin 1 to 2

The 3 Prong Coil should read 1,300-1,400 on Pin contact 1 to 2
And 500-600 ohms on Pin 1 to 3

I buy in bulk so these coils cost me under $3.00 for the pair.

Online Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 09:32:27 AM »
That is a really good price. I will start buying like that.