Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Kenmore 110.91310100 overflowing  (Read 242 times)

Offline Dan T

• VIP Member
Kenmore 110.91310100 overflowing
« on: October 18, 2019, 02:26:15 PM »

Hey all you experienced repair folks,
Iím having problems with my washing machine overflowing when filling and trying to figure out which parts I may need to replace. I have no experience with these things so just relying on lots on internet searches (and searching these forums) to troubleshoot, which so far hasnít saved me. Itís an oldie that I hate to replace with a newer machine since newer stuff seems to be built with much inferior quality, but at my wits end trying to solve what should be a simple problem. These things donít appear like they should be that complicated to repair. 

The machine is a Kenmore Heavy Duty #110.913.10.100, which I believe is made by Whirlpool

The steps Iíve taken so far to try determine/fix the problem are:
1. Throughly cleaned all parts inc. both tubs, air pressure bell on outside of tub to get rid of any debris and inlet filters on back.
2. Replaced the pressure switch hose even though it appeared ok
3. Checked pressure switch which seems to be ok. Used multimeter to check contacts, and can also hear click when blowing in hose.
4. Checked water Inlet valve which also seems ok. Used multimeter to check contacts, and unplugging machine while filling stops water.
5. Plenty of incoming water pressure, so shouldnít be an issue.

In addition to the failure to stop filling initially, thereís a couple of other weird things that have just happened which makes me think something else might be going on. First, as I watched the machine as it was filling, it stopped at the correct level and started the agitation cycle, then for no reason after a few minutes it started filling again midway thru the cycle and had to be manually stopped and the timer advanced to empty tub. The other thing is the machine will fill and stop at the proper point with the lid open (as it has always done), but now it will agitate for a minute or less and then stop until the lid is closed. Then it starts agitating as itís supposed to.

Only other thing I can think of would be something with a timer malfunction or wiring harnass/conatcs issue, but didnít know if either would impact a simple water shutoff command. The biggest frustration is the overfilling /other problems are intermittent so it feels like Iím playing Russian roulette every time Iím doing laundry.

Iíve kind of run out of ideas and tired of garage flooding. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks for any insights,
Dan

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Kenmore 110.91310100 overflowing
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 06:21:00 AM »
Couple things here to ask?

Did you bypass the lid switch? That way you can take Front Cabinet off and see washer fill and operate. Is the fill tube being crushed when you put cabinet back on frame? Thus not allowing hydrostatic pressure to cycle off the fill valve? Pressure hose has to sit in the proper slot (channel) against frame.

I actually pull timer off and check the contacts for burns on the copper contacts. The timer could be the issue (remember timer controls everything) timer part # 3354420 refurbished for $120. Well worth it.
[/size][/color]
[/size] Consider this the washer is not working correctly so donít be afraid to take the timer apart and do investigating worst case scenario itíll cost $120 for a new timer and no headaches [/color]

[/size] Let me know how you make out [/color]

Offline Dan T

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 04:50:23 AM »
Thanks for your response. I need all the help I can get on this one!

I did indeed bypass the switch so I could watch it fill and everything went fine with no problems for quite a few loads with the tube just hanging between the switch and air bell and not in place. I also wondered about it being somehow bent since it seemed to be working fine with cabinet off and problems started again a few loads after it was put back on. At that point I double-checked and the tube was in the proper clip on the back of machine, thru the ring holding all the wires on side and the holder on side of drum above air bell and didn't seem to have any kinks/pressure on it to block air pressure.

So, once again I took cabinet off and did a few more fills to test it with the hose both hanging loose and fed thru proper channels. It worked in both hanging loose position and attached properly- and then it didn't work. It seems a very intermittent failure. When I put it back together after that time was when I started getting the weirdness with the short agitating when cover was open after initial fill and the starting to refill/overflow in the middle of the wash cycle.

I haven't checked the timer yet since I didn't think it could cause problems. Isn't it just a dumb device that starts timing once it gets a go signal from the pressure switch, or would the burned contacts cause it to do this kind of behavior? You're right, definitely can't hurt to look since I have run out of possibilities. I have another pressure sensor ordered since it was the cheapest part, even though the current one tested good on both continuity and the "blow test". I had read somewhere that it's possible to test electrically good but still be mechanically bad, despite the blow test.

I'll check the contacts tomorrow and keep u posted if I make any progress.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 06:33:15 AM »
Definitely a control issue. You might also want to check your contacts on the motor - clean them up too but I think youíll find the issue is your timer I.m will to but my money on. Probably burnt contacts! Carefully open the time up and shoot a video on how it comes apart as a reference - you sound pretty mechanically inclined so give it a shot!!

Offline Dan T

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 12:30:55 AM »
Ok, I didn't get a chance to take machine apart today, but want to confirm we're talking about contacts that are inside the timer, not the contacts where the wiring harness connects to the timer, right?

Also, would the timer also be responsible for allowing the agitation that happens with the lid open after it initially fills? The washer will fill correctly, agitate for a minute, stop, and won't start the regular agitation/wash cycle until the lid is closed. I don't recall it doing this before the rest of the problems and would like to rule out the lid switch being a factor in the situation. Thanks.

Offline jimd2

• Technician
  • Wish the New stuff was like it was in the 80's
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 06:44:14 PM »
Is this draining into a wash tub or stand pipe
If it is in a wash tub does tub drain fast
If only they still sold the Direct Drive
Couplers were a gift from Whirlpool to Service Techs