Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE with evaporator fan motor speeds up & down & up & down & up & down  (Read 200 times)

Offline tagarman

• Technician

Hello, I'm working on a GE side by side refrigerator, Model No: PSS26LSRCSS.  The freezer fan motor will ramp up & slow down constantly.  The owner says the noise is annoying.  I checked the voltage for the fan motor on the P2 plug of the main control board (terminals 1 & 3 I believe).  I read 12.41 volts DC and the fan was running at high speed.  I know it should be 4 volts for low speed, 8 volts for medium speed & 12 volts for high speed.  I think there is a way to measure the Hz.for the different speeds but I don't know what terminals to do this on.  Could I have a bad main board (wr55x10942) of could there be a bad tach on the evap motor not telling the board the speed?  If anyone has seen this and knows what part needs to be replaced, please let me know. Thanks for any help you can give me on this!

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses keep it simple
    • Appliance Repair
Re: GE with evaporator fan motor speeds up & down & up & down & up & down
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 06:14:27 AM »
Replace the board that will solve your problem. The motor is designed to change speeds but gradually over a short of time. if it's surging back and forth then the board is bad.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 06:16:01 AM by haroldsappliance »

Offline tagarman

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 09:12:28 PM »
Thanks for the solution to this problem.  The customer is selling her home and leaving the frig for the new buyers.  I'm not sure she will want to spend the money to repair this.  I'll call her and see if she will.  If I repair the refrigerator, I'll let you know if it works.  Thanks again!

Offline tagarman

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 07:57:32 PM »
I called the customer today and gave her the news about needing a main control board for $190.00 & installation.  She said the house is for sale with the appliances and she'll let the new owners deal with the refrigerator repair if they want to.  Oh well, ya win some - and ya loose some but thanks for the info. I'll remember this if I run into it again!