Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE PDT PDT750 Dishes not clean- draining fine, arms not spinning  (Read 247 times)

Offline mookie3333

• VIP Member

I heard this could be a function of the pump being clogged.  Are there 2 pumps or 1?  Last time I had this problem, but I also had ~3/4" standing dirty water in the bottom of the basket.  This time all the water drains properly, but I can tell the arms aren't really spinning.  While running a quick rinse cycle, I can hear something trying to start up (motor? pump) and then cut off after a couple seconds.  It does this a few times, and the arms never spin (I can normally hear when they DO spin, when it's working properly).  Right now they are not spinning at all.  Anyone have any idea what to try?  I'm trying the baking soda and vinegar thing, which cleared up my clogged drain last time, but this is the third time and doesn't seem to be working.  Thanks all.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 05:36:13 PM by mookie3333 »

Offline mookie3333

• VIP Member
Re: GE PDT PDT750 Dishes not clean- draining fine, arms not spinning
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 06:22:22 PM »
Also, I entered diagnostic mode and got codes F96, F65, F146 ....

Offline manden

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 05:24:50 AM »
Sounds like the circulation motor is trying to start but it's thermal protect is tripping.

So you will have to pull it apart to make sure everything is clear/clean.

Perhaps the following will help.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzIiBNwRIV4NLVVPaDJsWElnNnc/view

This is one complicated piece of gear.

Offline mookie3333

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 10:10:57 AM »
Thank you for the guide.  I took out the circulation pump and from what I can tell, it's not spinning too freely.  I use a long screwdriver, and even though I am spinning near the center of the impeller (that's all I can reach), I can definitely feel a little resistance.  Any way to open this thing up?? I also want to power it up outside of the dishwasher and just see if it spins on its own, but not sure where to apply power.  I see there's a heating element, with red/white and purple lead, but there is also a 5 wire connector. (blue, grey, red, white, black) of which blue/grey is (i think) the thermal protection sensor.  Any help? 

Also any idea how to take this thing apart and just give it a cleaning??  Please see the pics attached.

Offline mookie3333

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 10:59:29 AM »
Ok, I figured out how to disassemble the entire thing.  Inside the impeller housing, I found a bunch of soft crud, which wouldn't really prevent spinning, but I also found a very small pebble.  I feel like this is what was causing the problem.  Reassemled everything to find out that the impeller was spinning the same was as previously - Maybe because something w/ the electric field of the  motor?  ANyways, I reassembled , not really sure if this will fix the problem, but let's see.  Headed out to buy some hose clamps now to finish this up.. fingers crossed.

Offline mookie3333

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 07:17:01 AM »
Ok - reassembled everything, and ran a quick rinse to find the same problem.  Circulation pump continuously trying to start, then cutting off.  However, towards the end of the cycle, I hear something-  Opened the door quickly to note that out of the 3 arms, only the bottom one is spinning.  Maybe something is clogging the "conduit" downstream of the circulator pump?  I'll try that next, but just running it by you guys in case you have some suggestions. Thanks.

Offline johnb300m

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 02:05:29 PM »
Hi, looks like there've been no replies in a while.
Those GE dishwashers only run one level at a time, so seeing only the bottom arm running for a few min. is normal.
As for the motor, it sounds like maybe it's bearings are failing. Or its electrically dying.
I imagine you replaced it already.

Offline mookie3333

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 03:33:55 PM »
Yes you are correct! It is the motor/pump that was bad. Ordered a new one and noticed the impeller spun very smoothly, while mine ran pretty rough with plenty resistance.  I took apart my pump to pieces and couldn't figure out at all what was causing it to operate so rough. Wish I could have fixed the old one, as New one costs almost $200.