Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Need to know if this is still a fire hazard  (Read 96 times)

Offline Savedbygrace

• VIP Member
Need to know if this is still a fire hazard
« on: October 15, 2019, 09:24:58 AM »

Please bear with me because I am totally illiterate when it comes to this kind of thing. But I am a single mom and up until recently I have took care of both of my parents that were wheelchair bound. I have to figure out how to fix these issues on my own because I can't afford to hire any assistance. I have a Frigidaire Affinity dryer that I bought used several years ago. For sometime I was having to reattach the aluminum lint duct tube to the back because it kept coming unattached. But I had also noticed that beside the hole that it attached to there was this big open space. This never made sense to me because it seems that it would defeat the entire purpose of the tube because I would think all of the lint would escape there instead of the tube. But like I said I have no idea how this is suppose to work. I feel like there might be a piece missing tho. Anyways I also continued to have to clean up lint that was constantly being blown all over my clothes and walls in my laundry room. Recently we had to move due to my mother passing away. During the move the entire lint duct tubing was destroyed. I also have to change the 4 prong plug to a 3 prong because the sockets in our apt are 3 prong. When I was attempting all of this I got a really good view of the bottom of this dryer. It was 2 inches or more deep of lint. I am not certain but I feel pretty sure that this is a huge fire hazard. But I am not sure just how much needs to come out. I have cleaned out a lot of it but now I am at the point where I am going to have to really disassemble this dryer in order to get it any cleaner. I am uploading pics of what it looks like now. I just need to know how much more clean this needs to be and if its even worth the effort at this point. I really don't know what I will do tho if I can no longer use this dryer. I need to fix it if its at all possible. Thanks!

Online Thorning

• Technician
Re: Need to know if this is still a fire hazard
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 06:38:12 AM »
Yes you have a fire hazard. Clean it out. The outlet tube needs to be connected to a vent the goes to the outside of the house. No other way is correct. and dont use the flimsy plastic type flex line.

Offline manden

• Technician
Re: Need to know if this is still a fire hazard
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 10:27:58 AM »
Perhaps a make and model number will get you help to how to dismantle this unit.
Not only does the bottom have to be cleaned but the internal dusting also has to be cleaned out and the blower wheel.

You seem to be missing the metal duct that goes from the blower output to the back on the unit.

FYI: When you switched to 3 wire did you attach the ground strap from Neutral to the machine chassis.
If not you should have.