Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool refrigerator with inside LED lights strobing  (Read 252 times)

Offline tagarman

• Technician
Whirlpool refrigerator with inside LED lights strobing
« on: October 14, 2019, 09:00:22 PM »

Hey Everyone, I'm working on a Kenmore (Whirlpool) side-by-side refrigerator, Model No: 106.51132210 made in Oct, 2014.  Last week I repaired a broken white wire at the bottom of the freezer door for the icemaker.  This refrigerator has the icemaker & bin on the top of the freezer door.  Today I went back because the icemaker was again not making ice.  All the wires were OK but I only read 8 volts on the black & white wires for the icemaker at the icemaker and at the disconnect plug behind the grill.  I unplugged the refrigerator for about 5 minutes and when I plugged it back in I am now reading 120 volts at the icemaker.  I jumped out the T & H terminals on the icemaker and it ran thru the cycle & filled with water.  All is good, right?  NOT SO,  Now the refrigerator & freezer interior LED light are flashing on and off like a strobe light.  What's up with that?  Do you think I have run into a faulty main control board on the back of the refrigerator?  Please let me know what you think, Thanks!

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
Re: Whirlpool refrigerator with inside LED lights strobing
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 10:54:15 PM »
Light control module on the refrigerator side will cause that. Part #WPW10515058

Offline tagarman

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 09:25:40 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'll let you know how it works out.

Offline tagarman

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 09:11:12 PM »
scrapiron, I installed the new light control module today and it worked great.  Thanks again for your help.  This is the first time I ever ran into this type of problem.  I'll remember it for next time.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses keep it simple
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 01:33:37 PM »
Fyi...w10515058 is the master. Which is located in the fresh food top section. There are two slaves part  wpw10515057. There's one in the bottom fresh food and one in the freezer. I've always found the problem to be the master at the top right fresh food however recently I discovered a slave in the freezer was causing same flickering. I now stock both the master and the slave light for repair jobs. On the previously mentioned repair I discovered 120 volts at slave in freezer. Replaced only the slave problem solved. After 35 years I'm still learning something every day. Hope this helps. I find that the master light is approximately twice as much as the slave lights. Also it's not necessary to replace both but only the one that's bad.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 01:36:05 PM by haroldsappliance »