Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool (and others) $30 control board fix!  (Read 186 times)

Offline Normstorm

• VIP Member
Whirlpool (and others) $30 control board fix!
« on: October 13, 2019, 06:08:20 AM »

Pretty sure these appliance circuit boards are intended to fail and force you to junk & buy new. My Control Board would have been
$270 for a dryer less than 6 years old. I found a video that helped me fix it. Find "GinsBoy 2003" u tube video how to replace $5 Relay. Had to be patient and wait 3 weeks for $5 Relay to arrive from Hong Kong (E Bay) "GinsBoy" even helped me search for the SanYou relay. I spent about $30 for a quality Solder Iron  and Solder Sucker tools. Getting old relay off board was much harder than expected but with my kids help holding solder iron I was able to slowely pry it off while he heated up the 4 pins. Thought we had probably ruined the circuit board with burns and excess solder dirt but it was fine. The solder sucker tool and copper ribbon stuff didn't work for me. Also had to use a tiny drill to clean out 2 large pin holes and broke apart old relay to get solder pins off it. Then I used those tiny pins in Makita drill and slowley " drilled out" the two small pin holes so that I could press new relay into board. Because the board seemed dirty and crusty after applying heat so many times to get old part off I figured the new solder probably wouldn't "flow" for a proper solder joint but I was surprised that the soldering was super quick and easy. Replace 3 screws and Dryer Works Like NEW!!!!! Hopefully get another 5 years out of it. Its an $800+ machine. Shouldn't Die before 6 years old. 

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool (and others) $30 control board fix!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 07:40:52 AM »
I disagree with the planned obsolence idea from a lot of suppliers and really get upset when I come across it . Last week my next door neighbor experienced a dryer problem with a unit that is way less than 10 years old. It was the main circuit board.  The main board had a set of terminals from a relay that had come loose from the board. When it was dismantled it was an easy fix and cost zero in parts and about an hour of labor to resolder the 2 terminals. That type of repair is not always possible and if a part on the board is not in captivity a person is forced into buying a very expensive part. A good soldering iron is a wise investment !!!

Offline Normstorm

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 07:58:03 AM »
Agree! $30 Soldering Iron is nice. Heats up quick and can vary amount of heat. I don't understand why the solder sucker tool didn't work. Removing the part was difficult. Re-Soldering new Relay super easy once I got holes cleaned out and was able to press it into place. Read about your Maytag Issue. My 1st inclination was to replace the cheapest parts first like door switch & heat sensors but then when I found video and learned about why Relays go bad or burn out the one solder joint (High Voltage) it was obvious what most likely the problem. BUT - I was fooled at first because the "Fault Code" indicated "clean out your vent pipe"! Of coarse shop vacumeing vent did NOTHING to fix the problem but it's good to vacume the lint once in awhile. Hope you can find the Maytag solution. Best of luck on that.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 09:52:12 AM »
FWIW --I have worked on 745 washers and dryers over the last 5 years and have developed a routine to attack problems. Sometimes I get lucky and fix it with the easy items first. Thermal fuse, electric heating elements, switches. etc. I have found that if the motor is bad or the timer is bad it is a scrapper. I also stay away from GE or frigidaire units. Best units are older Maytag, older Whirlpool,  older Kenmore  and  best at least IMO is Speed Queen.  I have good working relationship with a local dealer who saves old units for me at no cost. In turn I buy the repair parts from him.. I am not greedy and usually sell them for $100 which makes some decent  profit for me. I get a lot of repeat customers. I give a customer $10 as a trade in for a decent unit and very very seldom get a return--- about 1 or 2 a year. My most trusted tool is a good quality VOM that saves me a lot of time. Also a set of 2 or 3 jumper wires about 18" long with small alligator clips on each end. For less than $100 a person has most of the tolls needed along with a set of nut drivers .

Offline Normstorm

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 06:07:01 AM »
That's really cool that you do that. I went many years w/o washer & dryer. Didn't have hookups and hadn't learned wiring & plumbing but mostly couldn't afford to buy them. Now I have 4 various appliances in a garage at the same house which is a rental. I am constantly repairing stuff and like to be able to fix things right away for good tenants! They appreciate it. Guess I must learn to use a voltage meter.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 07:10:32 AM »
Right now I have 4 or 5 dryers and one washer in my garage for sale. I also have one dryer I am scrapping tomorrow since I cant get the problem solved of it not lighting the gas burner. In regard to tools I buy Milwaukee brand  for power tools, A lincoln MIG welder and other good quality brands that last 10 or more years. Occasionally I buy something at Unclaimed Freight but figure it will only last a year or so. Cheap stuff is just that. If you buy an electrical meter get a digital one.