Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Sealed System  (Read 236 times)

Offline mhelgesen11

• VIP Member
Sealed System
« on: October 11, 2019, 08:39:12 PM »

Where can I find some good videos on how to go through the procedure on a repairing a sealed system. I have checked YouTube but looking for a video that says when pressure gets to .. then do this and also how to evacuate the system. Also is adding sealed system to the repair arsenal worth it? Thank you

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
Re: Sealed System
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 09:31:47 PM »
> Also is adding sealed system to the repair arsenal worth it? Thank you

Unless you're going to make it your specialty, or do really expensive machines, I'd have to say "no".

The new machines are more delicate and fussy than the old ones. The days of buying a Tecumseh compressor that's "about the right size" for not much money and installing it in an hour or so, and making a good profit and having a solid repair that will last decades are pretty much gone.

Also you watched a bad video. The only way to reliably charge a new domestic refrigerator is with a high precision digital scale, not by watching the pressure.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 09:36:39 PM by tcarmen »

Offline mhelgesen11

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 09:53:16 PM »
so if you run across a refrigerator that needs the sealed system repaired do you just contact a local mechanical HVAC company if the customer still wants it repaired? And also would you still charge that customer your service fee for coming out?

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 10:08:04 PM »
Once I tell the customer how much the repair is going to cost, it's generally around 1/2 the price of a new machine, so they just replace it.

When I run into something really expensive like a sub-zero, I refer it to a guy who does a lot of them.

25 years ago, I did a ton of sealed system work. Now, hardly ever.

Also, the refrigerant and tools are changing. If you get setup to do R134, etc. now, you're going to own a lot of obsolete equipment when the hydrocarbon machines get more popular. They require completely different tools and techniques.