Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag Top Freezer not cold, compressor hot and clicking on and off  (Read 227 times)

Offline mookie3333

• VIP Member

This is a Maytag PTB1553DRW

I Found my frozen stuff starting to defrost, so I quickly emptied my freezer.  Evaporator fan and coils look OK, condenser w/ fan didn't seem too dirty.  I can hear the compressor click on, then hums like it's trying to start, then about ten seconds later, clicks off.... after about a minute, it cycles the same thing again.

I'm thinking the relay and/or capacitor.  What do you guys think?  If so, could someone link me to parts for this model?

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: Maytag Top Freezer not cold, compressor hot and clicking on and off
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 08:19:56 AM »
Here is your parts list.Yeah only chance would be start relay.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 09:42:07 AM »
WP10097202 Would think this is your relay. Don't worry about the run capacitor that would never stop the compressor from starting. Take it out and if it shakes it is bad. You could buy that relay cheaper on line somewhere else to.

Offline mookie3333

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 09:57:09 AM »
WP10097202 Would think this is your relay. Don't worry about the run capacitor that would never stop the compressor from starting. Take it out and if it shakes it is bad. You could buy that relay cheaper on line somewhere else to.

dab147315 thanks for your help, I just ordered the part, arriving tomorrow.  Let's see if it works, fingers crossed! Thanks again.

Offline mookie3333

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 09:05:12 PM »

dab147315 thanks for your help, I just ordered the part, arriving tomorrow.  Let's see if it works, fingers crossed! Thanks again.

Well, in preparing to change the start relay, yesterday I popped off the cover on the compressor just to see the logistics of how to change it.  Strange enough, what I saw didn't look anything like the replacement part mentioned above.  I've attached pics of what I found under the cover.  Also, when I removed the cover, i heard a click, and the compressor fired up like nothing.  Not sure what happened, or if it will happen again.  I will replace the (relay?) shown here if I can source it, just in case... can't seem to find it mentioned anywhere though!  Not a whole ton of room to work back there as well... thanks for the help guys.

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 11:39:26 PM »
I suggest you stop where you are and check to see if your refrigerator is part of the fire hazard recall from Service pointer R8178770-B. The model number matches. Check the serial number to see if it is part of the recall. If it is, unplug it and leave it uplugged until you get the repair kit. Part number W10247581