Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Food Compartment Not Cooling  (Read 148 times)

Offline wpollock

• VIP Member
Food Compartment Not Cooling
« on: October 03, 2019, 02:48:15 PM »

Frigidaire Model LGHB2869TF3

Food compartment temp set at 37F. Freezer temp set at 0F and is operating fine. Anyone know how to enter the diagnostics(Test) mode and tell me which test(s) I should run to determine the problem? It is my understanding there is a fan that will harvest freezer compartment air and discharge it into the fresh food compartment to augment the chilled air circulated by the main food compartment fan.
I would also need to know how to exit the diagnostics mode once finished.

Thanks

Offline wpollock

• VIP Member
Re: Food Compartment Not Cooling
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 09:35:26 AM »
Update to my issue. Yesterday morning I saw for the first time a panel display that reads SY EF which I believe refers to a problem with the evaporator fan located on the back panel of the freezer. As I stated in my original post,with crossed fingers and knocking on wood,the freezer is still working as should and producing ice albeit at what seems to be a slower rate than before this issue started.
I can unplug the refrigerator for 10 minutes,plug it back in and the SY EF prompt is cleared for at least 1.25 hours as I have done so again this morning and have been timing it as best as possible.

As for fans behind the back access cover,I can visibly see one which I assume cools the compressor.When I checked on Monday it was operating.

My question regarding the evaporator fan in the freezer: is the fan motor itself bad or is there an issue with the control board that is throwing the SY EF code when the control board attempts to turn it on?

Offline wpollock

• VIP Member
Re: Food Compartment Not Cooling
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 03:13:35 PM »
So I received my replacement fan motor and watched what I thought was a straightforward removal and replacement install video. Only problem is my freezer has a ice maker and the small white cross bar for the bottom storage bin glide tracks does not have a screw to allow for removing it which will in turn allow me to remove the bottom shelf side bracket(s) which will let me remove the back panel to access the evaporator fan. If anyone has this style freezer and has replaced the EV fan motor please share the steps for doing so. I assume i will have to remove the ice maker as well? Pictures are attached