Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG Dishwasher not cleaning or drying LDS5040ST  (Read 87 times)

Offline Jonny5

• VIP Member
LG Dishwasher not cleaning or drying LDS5040ST
« on: October 02, 2019, 07:31:28 AM »

Hello,

Our LG dishwasher LDS5040ST is not cleaning the dishes well, and not drying well.

I had a repair person come out. He observed white residue on the door, which he said indicates that it is not getting hot enough to melt the soap. He started a wash, and opened the door and observed that the floor is not getting very hot. He said that the heating element should make it that the floor is too hot to touch, and thus the heating element is not working. Also, previously when we opened the dishwasher at the end of a cycle, hot steam would come out, but now it does not.

He checked the resistance of the heating element, and it was in the correct range, so he told me that it needs a new control board. He quoted me $450 to replace it (and would have to order the part and come back another time). I declined since I can almost buy a new dishwasher for that much.

-The washer is showing no error codes.
-The washer is connected to hot water. It was previously working OK, and now is not. We did not change the setting on our hot water heater.
-I ordered a new control board and installed it, but that did not fix the problem. The washer ran correctly with it, but is still not heating up.
-I installed a new heating element (with built in thermistor), but that did not fix the problem.
-I ran a heating test. The temperature is reading on the display, but it is not heating up during the heating test (reads room temperature, 20*C).
-I checked the resistance of the old and new heating elements and thermistors, and all were in the correct range.
-I checked the continuity of the wires from the heating element to the board, and the thermistor to the board.
-I checked that the two door switches are completing their circuits when the door is closed (I assume that this would interrupt the dishwasher anyway if it was bad?).

I've put a lot of time and money into this, and I'm getting close to buying a new washer. I just feel like that is a total waste since there is likely some simple fix that I haven't figured out yet. Any help is appreciated!