Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE GFE27GSD - Magic Incantaion for service mode?  (Read 128 times)

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
GE GFE27GSD - Magic Incantaion for service mode?
« on: October 01, 2019, 07:50:15 PM »

I have the 31-9227.pdf service document, and followed the instructions about pressing the three buttons for getting into service diagnostic mode, however the display is different than the pictures (low res screen, no prompt for "enter service mode?"

I selected the 00 47 test for the refrigerator fan (which wasn't running), but nothing happened.

According to the doc, the fan should run at 75% and the RPMs should be on the display, but neither happened.

Is there a button I need to press to actually start the test, or does "nothing happened" mean the fan is bad?

Also, the fan apparently requires a software upgrade: WR98R882802. Does anybody know what this does and if it's actually required?

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: GE GFE27GSD - Magic Incantaion for service mode?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 09:01:18 AM »
First off Model Number is incomplete>Also it is possible  that model is one that does not need the update.Like in this service bulletin.Also I heard that update is not a cure all for the ones that need a update. Sounds like when you were in the diagnostic mode it should of been running if it was able to. Replace motor> If the motor is bad it will run with a new motor updated or not.

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
Re: GE GFE27GSD - Magic Incantaion for service mode?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 12:44:18 PM »
> Sounds like when you were in the diagnostic mode it should of been running if it was able to. Replace motor> If the motor is bad it will run with a new motor updated or not.
> First off Model Number is incomplete>Also it is possible  that model is one that does not need the update.Like in this service bulletin.Also I heard that update is not a cure all for the ones that need a update.

Thanks!