Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE Geospring compressor  (Read 436 times)

Offline hdtrc

• VIP Member
GE Geospring compressor
« on: September 23, 2019, 09:31:32 AM »

Hello,

I recently picked up a GE Hotspring that was replaced by another GE Hotspring. It was replaced because the neighborhood suffered a surge during a lightning storm and the control panel fried on the one that I picked up.

I tested the compressor's continuity and that checks out fine. Now I want to test run the compressor by hot wiring it.

The compressor has three terminals; R S C. I'll guess that it's Run Start and Common ? What would be a procedure to do a test run. If my terminal labeling is correct, I imagine that connecting to C and S will get it going. Correct ?

Offline hdtrc

• VIP Member
Re: GE Geospring compressor
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 02:04:12 PM »
* GeoSpring, not HotSpring.

Offline hdtrc

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 07:27:26 AM »
Anyone, anyone ?
Bueller, Bueller ?

Offline DaleCaskanette

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 06:51:45 PM »
You will need a start relay.  Get a universal will give you a hook up sheet

Offline hdtrc

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 08:06:25 AM »
Thank you.

I looked up stat relay on Supco's website. 400+ list of items with no way to sort by voltage or compressor size.

Is a current relay or potential relay the same thing ?

I found a MARS current relay spec sheet. Mars Relay

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 10:38:40 PM »
You need a relay that's appropriate for the compressor's voltage and current requirements.

I don't know any way to find it except to lookup the machine or compressor and see what it's supposed to have.

This is almost certainly going to be too big to start with a small refrigerator universal start relay.

Offline hdtrc

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 04:13:17 AM »
For test purposes, I'm thinking that I could assemble a manual start relay by wiring a light switch to manually operate the start windings.
Wire it in just as a start relay would be wired and then flick the switch off after 1-3 seconds once the circuit is energized and the compressor gets up to speed.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 09:30:02 AM »
This manual may help you? The model number is a little different also have a mini manual for the model in this manual.See what you think.

Offline hdtrc

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 06:15:30 AM »
Thank you dab.

Those are two very helpful .pdfs.

600W compressor with a ~20A LRA and 4.5A RLA.

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 03:52:35 PM »
When I was in HVAC school we had a homemade manual tester. It was basically a metal electric box with a cord that plugged into the wall then on the box was a on off switch and a momentary switch, with 3 wires coming out with insulated alligator clips. The momentary switch if you held it rotated would put power to the start winding and when you let go of it spring back so only the run winding kept getting power. Easy to make one.