Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE french door fridge not cooling  (Read 316 times)

Offline SixD9R

• VIP Member
GE french door fridge not cooling
« on: September 21, 2019, 11:22:38 AM »

Hello, our 7 year old GE French door fridge decided to stop cooling all of a sudden. Saw some water on the floor last night before bed that I now know is from the ice maker leaking the melted ice cube water out of. This morning I checked the temp found 41 freezer and 45 fridge- no good! Without pulling the whole unit out of it's cabinet (it's difficult because it's in a bad spot) it does sound like the compressor is running.

I scheduled a service guy for Wednesday which was the earliest appointment i could get. But I'm wondering if I should just cancel the appointment and buy a new one or wait to see what the service tech finds out? Any thoughts or suggestions as to little things I can check on my own? Or, any advice if I should spend the $100 minimum for the service call only to find out the thing is junk or not economical to repair? I'm not knowledgeable on refrigerators but I do have some mechanical skills and tools.

The model umber is PFSS5RKZH SS.

Thanks!

Offline SixD9R

• VIP Member
Re: GE french door fridge not cooling
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 09:22:56 AM »
Hello again,

I pulled the fridge out and confirmed the compressor is NOT running. I'm now leaning towards getting a tech here (appointment scheduled for Wednesday) to look at it rather then going out and buying a new one. I'm thinking the problem is something is not telling the compressor to start like a switch/relay/sensor etc. If you have any advice or thoughts on things I could check myself that would be awesome.
Thanks again!

Online dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 09:47:00 AM »
I would call a tech on this one. Very complicated refrigerator. Here is the service manual and tech sheet for your Model.

Online dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 10:54:05 AM »
Follow this video if you have the tools. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq1jBtjjiFY

Offline SixD9R

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 07:32:47 PM »
Wow thanks dab- the video was very informative. Unfortunately we have had some social commitments this weekend so I didnít get to spend much time on it. I do have a volt/ohm meter and might try the checks shown in the video tomorrow evening after work. I did take a quick look at it and dam the connections around the compressor are really tight. But if I can give myself some confidence that the compressor is fine Iíll feel better about spending the money for a service call.
Thanks again!

Offline SixD9R

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 08:53:26 PM »
Hello one more update on this. I followed the info in the video and the compressor resistance checked out good I was getting about 6.6 ohms. So now Iím feeling good about getting this thing fixed by a pro. I didnít perform all the trouble shooting checks the video showed but just checking the compressor resistance was helpful.

Thanks again for the video. Iíll check back and post up what the technician says.

Offline SixD9R

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 07:41:10 PM »
Hey one last update on this. The fridge is fixed. The problem was the inverter just as was depicted in the video. So all told I costed me nearly $400. The first visit for the tech to diagnose the problem was about $95 and then to come back and install the part was nearly $300. I probably should have followed my instinct and ordered the inverter online and installed it myself. That again to dab for the helpful video!