Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool Gas Dryer motor overheating - shuts-off  (Read 301 times)

Offline animateme

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Gas Dryer motor overheating - shuts-off
« on: September 19, 2019, 02:54:39 PM »

Hello,

I have a Whirlpool Gas Dryer model 7MSGDS800MQ1 which has the problem of shutting off after about 15 to 20 minutes of operating.   I gather that it is the motor that overheats and the heat sensor safety switch is shutting down the power for protection.   While the motor is off, the timer continues to run and after about 15 minutes of cooling down, the motor starts up again.   

I have replaced the motor with an original brand-new part and the issue is still happening. 

Thinking that the drum might not be spinning freely, which could be causing the motor to overheat, I have also replaced the drum rollers, the idler pulley, the belt, the blower wheel, the rear drum felt seal, the drum plastic slide (bearing ring support) and the front panel felt seal.    All this made no difference.

To discard the possibility of the motor getting overheated due to an excessive heat from the gas burner, I replaced the high limit thermostat and the cycling thermostat.   Still, the issue is occurring. 

I have invested quite a bit replacing all these parts without any positive results but now its all about the challenge of fixing the darn thing!

Any ideas on what to try next will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool Gas Dryer motor overheating - shuts-off
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 07:41:54 PM »
Check the line voltage at the motor while it's running.

Low or high voltage will cause it to overheat.

Offline animateme

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 07:51:39 PM »
Thank you for your reply.  A couple of questions:

When checking the voltage at the motor, will it matter if the drum is installed or not?  (will the drum load affect the V reading?)

Would there be a possibility that the motor could be getting a different voltage than the voltage at the wall AC outlet?   (would there be a component in the dryer circuit that could alter the voltage that is fed to the motor?)

Thanks,

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 09:22:19 PM »
> Would there be a possibility that the motor could be getting a different voltage than the voltage at the wall AC outlet?   (would there be a component in the dryer circuit that could alter the voltage that is fed to the motor?)

Anything between the outlet and the motor winding could be a problem.

The motor can overheat if it's:

* Running at the wrong voltage

* Has too high a load, either from the blower wheel binding or from the drum not turning freely.

* Running in too high an ambient temperature

Offline animateme

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 01:52:34 PM »
Thanks again for getting back to me.

This is the motor connector, would you know which pair of wires I should be checking for voltage?

Offline animateme

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 11:32:40 AM »
Hello again,  on the topic of the motor shutting down due to overheating, I checked which are the wires that run the power to the motor on the connector in a diagram that someone kindly provided to me (file attached).  These are the BLUE and WHITE wires.   I checked the voltage on these and it is 128 V, which I assume is acceptable?   I also checked the power on each of the wires and I get around 8 amps on each:

This measure was done with the motor connected to the blower wheel but without the belt that goes to the drum.

Given that the motor is rated to be 6.0 amps, would the 8 amp reading be acceptable?   

I verified that the blower wheel is not binding and the ambient temperature is not high at all.

I will appreciate any feedback on all this.  Thanks,

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 08:42:19 PM »
Check for power at the outlet as it sounds like you have an open neutral or power problem. Bad electrical connections will give excess amp draw as well. Watch for the power to disappear when it shuts down.

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 10:17:39 PM »
> Given that the motor is rated to be 6.0 amps, would the 8 amp reading be acceptable?   

Nope. That's too high.

Check the motor voltage while it's running and the amp probe is saying 8.x
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 10:18:59 PM by tcarmen »

Offline animateme

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 03:07:12 PM »
Thanks again for your latest replies.

An update on the issue, I tried running the cycle on the dryer with no hot air, only cool air, and the motor ran continuously for 90 minutes without stopping due to overheating.    With the hot air, it only runs for about 20 minutes before the thermal safety switch shuts the motor off.

Given this, I assume that we can rule out the motor being bad or the current/voltage being the causes of the issue.  Correct?

Would there be a reason as to why the motor overheats when running the cycle with the hot air?  I checked the seal that goes between the rear motor shaft and the blower wheel to protect hot air from getting to the motor and it is good.

Any ideas? 
Thank you.