Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: can Finish rinse aid leave suds in bottom of Kenmore Elite?  (Read 285 times)

Offline ron3033

• VIP Member
can Finish rinse aid leave suds in bottom of Kenmore Elite?
« on: August 17, 2019, 09:30:57 AM »

Kenmore Elite dishwasher  (probably made by Whirlpool)

We noticed that after it had washed the dishes, there was a layer of soap suds in the bottom that did not pump out.  We use a very minimal amount of Calgon powder, we barely cover the bottom of the two soap dispenser cups as we have soft water.
I used an appliance cleaner called Lemi Shine,(no dishes) still had suds.  Ran a rinse with some vinegar, still had suds.  Ran a rinse again and still had suds.  This time I checked the rinse agent tank, guess I did not get the cap on correctly for this rinse and some of the Finish Quantum rinse agent ran out the fill hole into the machine.  And I still have suds.
We use the correct soap powder soap and a minimal amount.  The drain tub goes up over the top of the tub back down to above the P trap under the sink, so it can't syphon the trap. 
1. Could the Finish Quantum rinse agent cause this??  (dial is set to 2 for rinse agent)
2. Is there a way to check to see if it is leaking out of the soap rinse agent dispenser on the door?  Should I run the diagnostic code for the  DW (Heated dry > normal wash > Heated dry > normal wash )  But not sure how to interpret what this tells me?
Any suggestions would be helpfull.
Thanks
ron3033
 :thanks:

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
Re: can Finish rinse aid leave suds in bottom of Kenmore Elite?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 09:14:50 AM »
Have you checked to be sure the sink drain is not slow?  Dishwashers often get blamed for what the sink drain is causing.  Also, you mentioned you have soft water.  Is it from a water softener?  If so, possibly the water softener system adds whatever is causing the sudsing.

Offline manden

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 09:31:55 AM »
Yes it could be the finish rinse aid.

If the reservoir is leaking you usually will see it on the inside of the door after leaving the unit sit overnight.

Could be your water is just too soft.

You could try to let the rinse aid empty too see if the suds disappear.
If the dishes still come out spotless then do not use it.
If you have some spots then try diluting the rinse aid with water.
I would start with a 50/50 mix.

Offline ron3033

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 11:03:16 AM »
Have you checked to be sure the sink drain is not slow?  Dishwashers often get blamed for what the sink drain is causing.  Also, you mentioned you have soft water.  Is it from a water softener?  If so, possibly the water softener system adds whatever is causing the sudsing.
Hi Johnboy3   It is a new sink with new p trap and pipes to stub out in wall, full sink drains well.  The drain hose for the DW is up over the top of tub at the back down through the side gable to an inlet nipple above the trap, like before sink was changed.  One of the Sears repair techs told me it is always better to run hose over the top not just lie it on the floor under the DW motors and up to the drain  nipple [/u] I am not sure why, but I assume to prevent syphoning of the P trap??.
No water softener in house it is just soft.   
I thought I may have spotted a streak of rinse agent down the door this morning, so I wiped the stainless steel off with vinegar and am going to watch it to see if it seeps out some more.  it seemed to be coming out to the left if the soap dispenser latch ( as you look into the DW).
I put some water in the rinse agent bottle and shook it, yes that stuff does suds up.

I do have a new soap dispenser and a new circuit board for this DW.  This is one of the Kenmore/Whirlpool caught in a class action suit about circuit board fires.  I got the parts by complaining to Sears that after 3 or 4 failed soap dispensers, it needs a new circuit board too.  Now I am unsure if it is a new and improved board, or the faulty board??    If I was to change out the board too, do I just put it in, or do you need to run the heated dry> ???? > heated dry > ???? >   code?  I can't remember it right now??  It seems that the soap dispenser is not too hard to change out.  Any thoughts

Thanks for your advice much appreciated  ron3033     :thanks:

Offline ron3033

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 11:11:27 AM »
I thought I may have spotted a streak of rinse agent down the door this morning, so I wiped the stainless steel off with vinegar and am going to watch it to see if it seeps out some more.  it seemed to be coming out to the left if the soap dispenser latch ( as you look into the DW).
I put some water in the rinse agent bottle and shook it, yes that stuff does suds up.
I often wondered about that stuff when water is soft.
Thanks   ron3033    :thanks:

Yes it could be the finish rinse aid.

If the reservoir is leaking you usually will see it on the inside of the door after leaving the unit sit overnight.

Could be your water is just too soft.

You could try to let the rinse aid empty too see if the suds disappear.
If the dishes still come out spotless then do not use it.
If you have some spots then try diluting the rinse aid with water.
I would start with a 50/50 mix.

Offline applianceguy69!

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 01:45:26 PM »
i was taught to use a little [cap full ] of cooking oil to breakdown the suds.just pour it straight in,run a cycle ,run again if necessary.
the high loop is very important for proper drainage as well.they want it to be about 30 inches high.dont be afraid to tighten the dispenser, just like anything else they can leak.
keep posting to see if we can do more ; ;