Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Sam Sung fridge RF23hcedbsr/aa has big block of ice on top right corner.  (Read 260 times)

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983

This fridge fresh food compartment has a large block of ice at the top right hand corner. There is no drain problem,no air leak from the fridge doors. What is causing this big block of ice? Please help!

Offline shillion

• Technician
Re: Sam Sung fridge RF23hcedbsr/aa has big block of ice on top right corner.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 03:10:58 AM »
I got called back to this fridge again because the block of ice is back.I am showing the picture of the block.I heard that if I wrap the tubes with perma gum to block the moisture from forming on the evaporator,this no more ice block.Does this work?998

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 10:17:00 AM »
On another forum there is a guy that is a real good appliance tech.
He came up with a solution for Samsung evaporator icing up problems.
The cause is the defrost system is not good enough and he installs a second defrost heater on the evaporator.
You have to use this low wattage heater made by Supco model number SH502 and you tap into the power wires of the existing defrost heater using those blue pinch on wire tap connectors.
He puts the second heater near the top following the suction line tube and wire ties it to the tube so it heats near the top of the evaporator more and fully melts everything in the defrost cycle.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 10:31:40 AM »
Found this service bulletin.Also would change that thermistor.PS I don't work on these.

Offline houptee

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 03:52:33 PM »
From the Re-engineers group techs they said the moving of the sensor does not help at all and the only cure is adding an additional defrost heater to the top of evaporator.
One tech said there is a way to enter programming mode and extend the defrost time but some said even that does not work.

Offline shillion

• Technician
I certainly will get some Supco heaters to help out.It's wasting too much time going back to re-do the unreliable fix again.I did wrap perma gum to the suction pipe to prevent the call back.