Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Continuous or Cumulative Defrost? ATB2232MRW00 Amana Refrigerator  (Read 227 times)

Offline imzjustplayin

• VIP Member

Wanted to know if anybody had the electrical schematic for this refrigerator or could tell me off the top of their head if this was a Continuous Run or Cumulative run defrost circuit.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: Continuous or Cumulative Defrost? ATB2232MRW00 Amana Refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 07:59:41 AM »
Continuous! Tech Sheet Below.

Offline manden

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 12:18:40 PM »
Sorry dab but I have to disagree.

I would say that it is Cumulative since the timer motor can only get power when the thermostat is closed.

Am I correct or am I looking at it wrong?

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 02:44:20 PM »
Your right. “Version 2” Cumulative compressor run application)  In these cheat sheets. I was thinking about where the BLACK wire goes on the timer. It goes on terminal  1 on the timer.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 03:47:17 PM »
Would be wondering if  OP is asking that Question because he don't now where that Black wire goes though!

Offline imzjustplayin

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 12:17:10 AM »
Does polarity matter on the thermostat? I'm assuming the black wires goes to the thermostat, but I'm wondering judging by the discussion above that polarity of the connectors on the thermostat matters.

The original reason why I ask this question is because I wanted to get an idea of how inefficient this refrigerator is. Having a defrost timer than runs every 6-12 hours just because that much time as passed would be a hell of a lot less efficient model than one that needed that much compressor time before defrosting. Wanted to 'upgrade' the unit to one with a longer defrost interval.

Offline manden

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 04:54:35 AM »
Since it is an AC circuit polarity does not matter.

If you want to increase efficiency to lower your electric bill some then replacing the light bulbs with LED bulbs will help.
They not only use less energy they also add less heat inside the unit which then has to be eliminated by running the compressor.
Will it actually save you money in the long run I cannot say.
Also keeping the condenser coils and fan and vents clean helps.

If you want to increase the efficiency as your part for the environment then I have mixed feelings about this.
I am not a fan of chasing the best Energy Ratings.
Firstly I do not 100% trust them sort of like car mileage ratings, companies push the boundaries.
Also many newer high efficiency units do not last as long as older units and the Energy Rating does not include the energy used to make and then scrap a unit.

Offline imzjustplayin

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 11:24:02 AM »

Also many newer high efficiency units do not last as long as older units and the Energy Rating does not include the energy used to make and then scrap a unit. "

Scrapping a unit is a tiny amount of its environmental footprint. The reason for this is the cost to recycle is small and most of the materials are reusable save for the insulation and maybe plastic interior parts. Yes it's true there are many units that do not last as long. However, that's a luck of the draw either because of poor engineering choices or some other issues. Meanwhile, I have purchased/picked up used refrigerators off craigslist that are over 10 years old and they're obviously still working. Any device that saves enough energy to pay for itself is a green solution both for wallet and environment.

If a refrigerator uses so much energy that I could literally purchase a new refrigerator to replace it every single year and break even, then that old unit IMO should be recycled. If the payback is over 10 years, I would definitely NOT replace the unit as that's the general life expectancy with anything after a bonus. I generally don't like buying new appliances because of the uncertainty of its longevity. Getting used ones means saving money and knowing whether or not the unit you got was a dud/had a bunch of known failures or not.  Replacing a defrost timer would save far more energy than changing the lightbulbs in a refrigerator. The defrost mechanism isn't nearly as advanced as the whirlpool stuff with the adaptive defrost control so I figured at the very least, I'd increase the defrost interval. One frustration I had with a Subzero refrigerator is that they shipped with a 24 hour defrost interval but their replacement parts in their guide show only 6 hour interval. I'd like a 24 hour interval because in my area, air is very dry so having a frequent defrost interval is unnecessary and wasteful.