Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool Dryer Heating Element Stays ON even when Door is Open - Model WED5810  (Read 197 times)

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member

I had posted this to the end of another topic, so I thought it would be better to start my own.

The other day, I happened to notice that the heater was still on even though the dryer wasn't On and the door was Open.   It doesn't seem to matter what Temperature we select.   I now know that the Heater will turn ON if the Timer is in a position where the dryer would normally be on if the door was open and the Start Button had been pressed.....even if the door is open and dryer drum isn't turning.   If the Timer gets to a point that it clicks over to the Off position, the heater will turn off.  There is no longer any 'Cooling Period' at the end of the cycle, the clothes come out burning hot (very hot to touch).   So until I figure out what's happening, we're being very careful when we use the Dryer.

After doing a little searching online, it seems like the culprit could be a shorted Heater Element or a Motor with a defective Heater switch.   Does that sound right to you guys?

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
It's either a bad motor switch or a shorted heater or a shorted wire (something that burned off the motor or heater and is grounded now).

You would really need to check it with an ohmmeter to know which, unless it's something obvious like there's a piece of burned off wire that welded itself to the cabinet.

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
Thanks!

I have one more piece of information to add;   I noticed tonight that the Heater Element does NOT come on if I set the Temperature Selector to 'No Heat / Air Fluff'.
Does that help to point me towards one direction over another...?

I'm hoping to take the dryer apart tomorrow to check it out.....I ran out of time today.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Here is the tech sheet for added to help others when you get if fix.

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
Here is the tech sheet for added to help others when you get if fix.

Thanks!   
I finally got a chance to look at the dryer this morning.   I pulled the Heater Element and sure enough, one of the coils had distorted and was now shorting to the edge of the heater frame.   I bent it away, hooked it back up, and confirmed that it was now working properly.   I have ordered a replacement heater assembly just to be safe.   Now I'm cleaning up the dryer and venting while I have it apart.
Thanks again!

Offline dab147315

• Technician