Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Kenmore direct drive top loader makes clanging noise during spin  (Read 193 times)

Offline brodwidr

• VIP Member

Hi Everyone -

I am so glad to discover this site!   I have a Kenmore series 90 direct drive top load washer 110.26902692 .  I would really appreciate some advice on troubleshooting.

Lately, my washer has started making a loud clanging / banging / scraping noise during spin HOWEVER if I hold the agitator with my hand while it is spinning up (disabling the lid switch temporarily) there is no bad noise.

Here is what I have noticed so far:

1.) The washing action (agitator) works fine and makes no noise during the wash part of the cycle.  I have changed the agitator dogs.
2.) The water pump works fine and doesn't make any strange noise.
3.) The spin action is strong and steady so I don't think it's the clutch.  And there is no burning smell.
4.) As long as I hold onto the agitator with my hand during the spin cycle, it doesn't make any unusual noise.
5.) There is no leaking under the washer.  No oil either.
6.) The noise is an intermittent clanging or scraping, not a continuous high-pitched whine.
7.)  The tub looks a little off center and it sags on one side.  None of the springs are broken or missing, but I'm wondering if they might be stretched out and need to be replaced.
8.) I have carefully leveled the machine and balanced the clothes.  It sounds like the clanging is happening somewhere in the lower middle part of the machine, rather than from the tub hitting the outside sheet metal.
9.) The machine was recently jostled and bumped a lot in moving it from one place to another.  The problem started after the machine was reconnected.

Overall my guess is that either the drive block or the transmission or the bearings or the pads are bad.  Or some combination.  What is the best way to narrow this down before I start completely disassembling the machine and trying to fix all of these things.   
:thanks: in advance.

Dan
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 01:13:02 AM by brodwidr »

Offline romanowski72

• Technician
Re: Kenmore direct drive top loader makes clanging noise during spin
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 09:50:27 AM »
there is a plate underneath the washer sometimes when moving the plate will shift, the plate if i remember correct needs to have the flat end facing towards the front of the machine.  Thats the plate that the pads ride on

Offline brodwidr

• VIP Member
Re: Kenmore direct drive top loader makes clanging noise during spin
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 12:04:25 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion.  I will check that out.