Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: What kind (brand) of R-134a can be used to recharge Samsung RSG257AARS?  (Read 223 times)

Offline MBDEVITT

• VIP Member

Hi -

I've read some very good information in this forum on Samsung refrigerators. We have a RSG257AARS, about 7 yrs old. Freezer isn't cooling below 30 degrees for the most part. Sometimes goes up to 37, then will go to a low of 12 for a bit, but then back to 30 deg fairly quickly. Not making ice, not freezing ice cream, freeze pops, etc.

I've ordered supplies (r12/r22 gauge, bullet-piercing valve, and Johnsens R-134a). Everything but the freon has arrived. Freon not expected for another week.

Can I use another brand of r-134a with no dye or oil, just pure freon? I can get the freon locally at Autozone: AutoZone R-134a Refrigerant 12oz

https://www.autozone.com/a-c-charging-and-refrigerant/r134a-refrigerant/autozone-r-134a-refrigerant-12oz/3275_0_0

If this fits the valve, is it okay to use?

Thanks -

Brendan

Offline smart19777

• VIP Member
You can use any brand r134

Offline MBDEVITT

• VIP Member
Thanks for confirming! Makes sense to me, but I wanted to be sure. Much appreciated!

Offline lonewolf454

• VIP Member
I'm going to assume you checked all other suspect problems with refrig not cooling such as themistors, control board, stuck dampers, staying in defrost, etc. If you have a leak in sealed system it really needs to be fixed or it will just leak out again.