Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag Side by Side Refrigerator Evaporator Freezing up  (Read 260 times)

Offline whfh99

• VIP Member
Maytag Side by Side Refrigerator Evaporator Freezing up
« on: July 17, 2019, 01:31:47 PM »

I have a 17 year old Maytag side-by-side refrigerator that had been working with no issue for the nine years we have had it (came with the house) until a few weeks ago when the fridge side was no longer cold. I cleaned out the back of the fridge and blew out all the dust bunnies (it was overdue for sure) and also noticed the evaporator inside the freezer was all iced up. I let it thaw out natually, did a continuity test on the defrost heater and got 20 ohms. From reading online, I thought it may be the automatic defrost control unit so I replaced that with an aftermarket unit. Started the fridge back up and about 3 days later, the evaporator had iced up again. I thawed it out again, tested the defrost heater element again (same resistance values), left the cover off over the evaporator and started the fridge up again. The evaporator blower has been running what seems like non stop since I started it up (maybe because I didn't put the cover on it?) and I can see the evaporator frosting up again. There is no food in the either the fridge or freezer now and I've felt along the door seals and do not feel and cold air plus with no food, there has been little opening and closing reducing the risk of someone leaving the door open a little.

From what I researched, it seems like the issue is the defrost circuit is not working (I can see frost on the defrost heater element currently) and the issue is either the defrost heater and thermostat or the auto defrost control. I replaced the defrost control but maybe that part was bad or despite my resistance test on the heater element, maybe it is still faulty and I should replace it? Could there be something else at fault that I'm missing? I'd prefer to fix this fridge if I can. I realize it's no spring chicken but fixing it if i can would spare me going through the process of getting a new one.

Maytag  Mode # MZD2766GEB

Offline smart19777

• VIP Member
Re: Maytag Side by Side Refrigerator Evaporator Freezing up
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 06:18:24 PM »
Did you check bi-metal? It is not good seeing at pic, but it looks broken

Offline whfh99

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 06:26:09 PM »
No I didn't. I'm not sure what that is? Can you clarify what it is and where and how to check?

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses keep it simple
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 02:24:01 AM »
Part # WP61006199. You can ohm out the limit switch if it's cold enough to be closed I would also ohm out the heater because the heater on this particular refrigerator is known to fail. make sure you disconnect the quick disconnect  as you may get an improper reading . if you're not sure how to use an ohmmeter go look at a video on YouTube.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 02:30:24 AM by haroldsappliance »

Offline whfh99

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 05:23:40 AM »
I did use my multimeter to test resistance for the heater itself and got around 20-22 ohms each time. I then tried it on the wires leading to the thermostat and didn't get any resistance when the temp was warm enough where I would expect it to, right? I don't mind replacing this part regardless just to see but wanted to ask it it could be anything else that I'm not thinking of.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses keep it simple
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 05:42:58 AM »
 my normal procedure in a case like this would be to go into the fresh food compartment near where the cold control is and advance the defrost timer clockwise until it clicks. when it clicks you will be in defrost at that point if the heater and the thermostat is closed(will not be closed unless it's cold enough) then the heater should heat if it does not at that point you can turn the power off come back off the defrost thermostat three or four inches cut and bypass it temporarily if your unit Heats at that point then you know that it's the defrost thermostat. if you're uncertain on your capability I would definitely not do this. put a wire nut on your bypassed wire that way it doesn't touch your evaporator coil and burn a hole in it. Do not leave this thing bi-passed. If the defrost thermostat is in fact cold enough to be closed when you advance into defrost and the unit Heats then you need to replace the defrost timer.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 05:47:25 AM by haroldsappliance »

Offline whfh99

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 06:27:00 AM »
This model does not have a manual defrost timer. It's adaptive or electronic and I just did replace it. I am going to order a new defrost heater and thermostat and just go ahead and replace it as soon as it arrives. It was about $50 so a lot less than a new fridge. Hopefully that does the trick. We'll see!

Offline whfh99

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 12:08:25 PM »
I have replaced the defrost coil/thermostat and the auto defrost control unit and it seems it's still freezing up after a few days of operation. I have checked door seals and didn't find any signs of leaking. The evaporator fan in the freezer is operational. What else could it be?

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 01:16:05 PM »
Did you put the rear panel on after replacing all the parts? With no air flowing across the evaporator without the panel on it will frost up. And you said "Coil" you mean the defrost thermostat?

Offline whfh99

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 01:20:00 PM »
Yes i did put the panel back and did even add a little more weather stripping where one spot had a year. Sorry, by coil I meant to type the defrost heater element is what I replaced which was connected to the thermostat. Is it normal to see any frost/ice up on the evaporator or should it be unrestricted? Here is a photo that I took. This is after about 3-4 days of operation after completing thawing it out.