Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Amana washer model ALW990EAW and s/n 0101258991  (Read 187 times)

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
Amana washer model ALW990EAW and s/n 0101258991
« on: July 14, 2019, 02:42:27 PM »

I recently bought this washer for scrap price with the warning that it needed repair. The panel is marked  that is built with a  3 speed motor. It has a touch screen control panel. It had a broken belt  which I replaced. After that was completed I could not get it to start a cycle but eventually it did . It did not run a  full cycle and the water fill rate was very very  slow. I only hook up cold water for testing and block off the hose connector for hot water. It would eventually  start , run a short time and then quit. Also the transmission  started to make a  lot of noise. I suspect the person who sold it to me did not disclose all the problems but he said it had no other problems !!! Does anyone have some knowledge of this type of machine or is it a scrapper ?  FWIW I took the console cover off and the solid state panel has a connector marked H3 which is a 6 pin connector with a burn mark on the side at pin 4 which is the pin for motor high speed .  I have a Speed Queen panel with a rotary dial setup  in excellent condition from another washer That was not repaired due to a bearing problem.    It is for  a 2 speed motor configuration however.  Anyone have a suggestion as to whether the SP Q panel could be made to work for this Amana unit ? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
Re: Amana washer model ALW990EAW and s/n 0101258991
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 03:28:28 PM »
I tried a slightly different approach on the fill rate problem in that I switched my cold water supply to the hot water inlet connection at the washer and the fill rate was significantly improved. THe fill level is still too high and will not stop unless I cut of the power. I also got the unit to go into a final spin cycle and there was no  unusual noise in the transmission area. I did not try to get it to agitate however. If anyone has some info on which device regulates the fill level or is it on the solid state panel ? I would appreciate your help.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 04:01:06 PM »
I messed up as this showed up in the dryer category but it should have been in the washer section.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 04:23:17 PM »
Found part of the problem was the water level hose was partially crimped. Corrected the problem and replaced the drive belt with an alternate item of the correct size from my spare parts box. The control for this washer is a touch pad type and the solid state panel inside the console  has a burn mark on one connector. I have a speed Queen rotary dial panel I would like to use in place of this touch pad type but I dont think I can make it work as the Amana has a 3 speed motor and the speed Queen panel comes from a machine that used a 2 speed motor. The arrangement may not be realistic to attempt a change of this type but I dont give up easy !!! Any comments from other parties are appreciated.