Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE PSCS5RGXCFSS Ice Maker not working - Just replaced  (Read 328 times)

Offline Asmithve

• VIP Member
GE PSCS5RGXCFSS Ice Maker not working - Just replaced
« on: July 13, 2019, 10:04:02 PM »

Good evening everyone, I am new around, trying to get some help to determine the cause of failure of the Ice Maker on my GE PSCS5RGXCFSS. To give you a better idea of what is going on and what has been done, here is some history...

We just bought a house, and it came with this refrigerator, the ice maker wasn’t working, and after looking at it I noticed the extraction mechanism of the ice was broken and you could hear it trying to turn and it never moved. I decided to buy a new Ice Maker from GE and it is now installed. The new Ice Maker is the GE replacement of the original it came with WR30X10093. The new Ice Maker was installed, the refrigerator power was cycled after the install and a system reset using the self diagnostic mode was performed.

The ice maker has not even started to make a single batch of ice after hours of replacing the unit. Based on your experience, what should i check?

Offline lonewolf454

• VIP Member
Re: GE PSCS5RGXCFSS Ice Maker not working - Just replaced
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 10:21:53 PM »
If freezer is too warm or water line is frozen (refrig too cold)  it won't make ice. On my ge ice maker there is a power switch, verify its on. I'm basing this on my ge 2006 model, not sure how old your unit is

Offline Asmithve

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 10:35:59 PM »
The freezer temperature is set to 0 degrees and it is currently at 11, not sure if it needs to be at zero in order to start the process?. The temperature is slowly dropping.

How can i determine if the line is frozen?

My fridge is 6 years old. The Switch of the Ice Maker is set to ON.

Offline lonewolf454

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 10:51:31 PM »
Will it dispense water? If not check water supply line into unit, water filter, or refrig is possibly too cold, freezing the water line. These are all easy checks before getting into checking water valves, boards, etc. Maybe someone else will chime in with other suggestions, as I said my unit is several years older.

Offline Asmithve

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 10:57:22 PM »
Is does dispense water, and it seems to have enough pressure. Not sure if there is something i could check through the self diagnostic mode... hopefully someone can chime in with other suggestions.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 09:05:10 AM »
Did you buy a original GE Part? Try this and see if it cycle. Service manual below in attachments.
 Pull the rake arm forward as seen in the photo
The further it is pulled forward, the shorter the initial cycle time
Normal cycle time is 3 minutes
Pulling the rake arm completely forward reduces cycle time to 1.5 minutes
(from 9:00 to 3:00)

Offline Asmithve

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 12:33:04 PM »
I bought the original GE part from their website.

I just tried the method you mentioned. The rake arm started moving a few seconds after doing this and did a whole turn. However, no water was dispensed to the ice maker.

I assume after the whole turn of the rake arm, water should've been dispensed and the process of making ice should begin? Either way no water was dispensed at any point, still nothing as of now.

I am not sure if the 'water pump' supplying water to the water dispenser is the same at the ice maker, if it is i am able to get water from the water dispenser with good pressure. If not, could it be that the line is frozen? Or the 'pump' broken? How can i determine the cause now? Thank you all for your help!

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 01:03:27 PM »
WR57X10070 One side of the water valve is for the dispenser and the other is for the ice maker.Possible you have a frozen fill tube. I would pull refrigerator out and make a 120 volt cheater cord and remove the plastic fitting on the valve going up to the ice maker and put power to it and see if water comes out at the valve.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 01:05:32 PM by dab147315 »

Offline Asmithve

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 03:51:03 PM »
Thank you for your answer, I pulled the refrigerator out, the valve has three connectors.. it has a two connectors on the ‘blue’ side and one connector on the ‘red’ side.. the red side is the one connected to the fridge side, which i assume is the one going to the ice maker. Which of the three connector should i ‘hot wire’? The one connected to the red side? On the other hand, since I wasn’t sure what to do to with the volt cheater, and didn’t want to cause any more damage to it, i measured the resistance of all the parts. The red section, connected to the ice maker (i assume), shows a resistance of 5ohms, while the over two 324-325ohms...

I also did part of the self-diagnostic, i did 0 7, corresponding to: Control and Sensor System Self test, got the following, thermistor test results
P 1 - fresh food
P 2 - fresh food
P 3 - custom cool
P 4 - evaporator
0 5 - freezer —-> according to the information i found that zero is a fail on that section. Could this be the main cause of why the ice maker is not working? Or is it more a mix of everything?

Offline Atech

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 07:29:42 AM »
In my experience 11 degrees is not cold enough to cycle the icemaker. Under 10 degrees is what we look for. I would go in that direction and see if you can get it colder.

Good Luck.

Dave

Offline Asmithve

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 01:17:06 PM »
The current temperature of the freezer is lower. It is currently at 1 degree. Definitely below the 10 degree that you just mentioned, this is the temperature displayed on the door, not sure if the thermistor inside the freezer is failing and not letting the ice maker know that the temperature is actually good to start making ice.