Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE GSH25 Weird motherboard issue after power outages  (Read 282 times)

Offline lonewolf454

• VIP Member
GE GSH25 Weird motherboard issue after power outages
« on: July 11, 2019, 04:55:40 PM »

Hey guys, this is my first post but I've been fighting this problem for awhile. Let me back up a couple of years.
The initial problem with this GE side by side ( GSH25JSTA SS ) was after a power outage (we've had line problems for a couple of years now).
The refrigerator wouldn't come back on after outage. Lights on inside fridge but no compressor, fans, or lights on icemaker controls.

At first, it wouldn't come back on for 15-30 minutes, then it would come back on. This progressed over the last couple of years to a couple of hours, several hours, and last month, it wouldn't power back up until it was left unplugged for 12-14 hours. This was obviously a problem. I ordered a replacement board (WR55X10942P) to replace the original WR55X23210. I installed it and all was well (for a few weeks) until we had storms in area Monday of this week. Again, just like before with old board, only 120V lights on inside fridge, and would not run.

I verified there was no VDC coming from the circuit board to power fans and front ice/temp control. Unplugged unit several times but didnt power back up. Ended up putting old board back in and it fired right up...

Sorry for the long story but it has me puzzled why the new board is acting the same as old board after an outage. I havent had time to try the new motherboard again, but if i had to bet money, I bet it would work again now after a few days. There is nothing obviously wrong on wire traces or components of either board. Old board has had some heat around a couple of components in 12 years of service, but nothing obviously wrong.

Im also having an (i think) unrelated issue with freezer temp fluctuations and refrig running too cold that I think is being caused by an out of range thermistor in FF section, the damper will open and close fine in test mode, but seems to be staying open. Thermistors in freezer (2) are in range, but I dont have a spare for FF sec right now. This is unrelated I think, and Im not too concerned about it, but did want to post all issues.

If someone can shed some "light" on what component causes loss of 13VDC power on board after power glitch, and what resets to allow it to come back after X amount of time?!! Thanks.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: GE GSH25 Weird motherboard issue after power outages
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 05:11:21 PM »
See if this helps.Attachment below.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 05:36:42 PM »
Freezer fan motor is a very likey fan motor that can load down the Dc voltage and lose your voltage. If this is even your problem of coarse. Try what I said above though.

Offline lonewolf454

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 05:46:32 PM »
I will try to create the scenario this weekend of losing dc power by disconnected power to unit over and over (probably with the new board just in case), and testing by removing the dc loads molex. It seems odd though that if it is in fact a fan motor going bad (and pulling down the dc voltage) that it would only show up when there is a power glitch, and not in between normal cycling of refrigerator. Thanks for the suggestion and I will definitely post back any findings.

The plus side to this whole ordeal is learning how this unit operates and communicates with the various components. The wife isn't as enthusiastic though and just wants it working lol

Offline lonewolf454

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 09:18:23 PM »
Update on GSH25JSTA power loss problem...
I reinstalled the wr55x10942p board today and it was still totally dead. 120v at input only. No DC output. Removed the J2 molex and the molex to ice dispenser controls. Still no dc power and comp did not come on. Tapped on relays etc, nothing. Plugged/unplugged a few times, nothing.  Reinstalled original board, everything working ok. There is no obvious problems with new board/components. Not sure what is wrong with it.

I know I'll be ok with my old board until the next brownout or Spike, but I wish I knew what was wrong with both boards.

Is there a better replacement for original board than the 10942p? It has a different layout, extra relays, and had more temperature problems when I was running on it...

Picture of original (working) board. Hot spots on back side around the caps above the two motor resistors.

Offline lonewolf454

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 01:25:58 PM »
Update:

Got with Primeco, the seller of the replacement board that died after a week, and their response was that if I was having that problem, I would probably be better off ordering an OEM board. Well, #$%t that's what I thought I had ordered. They use the GE part number!  Anyhow, figured it would be better if I did follow their advice then. They never offered to replace the dead board. Nothing. (not that I need another #$%t board anyway.)

I found a seller of genuine GE/Haier board and replaced it again. Obviously the other board was a knockoff, had smaller rf chokes, capacitors undated and different values, etc, and noticed both my original board and the GE OEM replacement both have GE# etched into edge of board.

With my original board, I was having to run freezer on 9 (coldest) and ff on 2 to maintain 0 and 40 deg and temp still had some fluctuation. The replacement knockoff board would NOT maintain temperature- the week it worked. Temps all over the place then it just died.

The OEM replacement im back at 6 on freezer and 4 on ff, seems to maintaining ok, ice has NOT melted into a giant blob since replacement!!  Going to keep original board as an emergency backup of course, remember the problem was it wouldn't come back up for hours after a power outage.

I hope this helps someone with similar problems. I highly recommend not screwing around with aftermarket boards trying to save a few dollars. Make sure its a genuine OEM board. If its $100 there's probably a reason why it's so cheap.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 01:28:41 PM by lonewolf454 »