Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Need help with a LG LinearCompressor  (Read 7583 times)

Offline re5513

• VIP Member
Re: Need help with a LG LinearCompressor
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2020, 03:00:51 PM »

^ I meant to say that the INVERTER appears to be good (output at the compressor is >200V RMS).  It also appears to me that the compressor is running, albeit very quietly when the Main PCB Test Mode 1 is selected.

Here is another look at the voltage at the pins of the Compressor (compressor not attached, just the voltage at the connector).  When the connector is attached, the compressor appears to run.

Offline re5513

• VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2020, 07:13:21 PM »
More follow up.  I made up a jig to safely connect the FC75LANE compressor to 120v RMS line power.  It hums quietly; however I note the following.
     1. The high pressure output does not get warm and the low pressure input does not get cold
     2. The compressor draws a whopping 0.5A when connected this way.

With the low amp reading I believe there are two possibilities.
     A. There is a seal inside the FC75LANE compressor that has failed and it is not able to achieve any kind of compression. or
     B. It is low on freon.

I would expect it to make more noise, perhaps metallic noises if it a seal had failed so next up I'll test the freon level.

Thanks again for the hint to connect it directly to line power, that was a very useful diagnostic.

Cheers,
RE5513

Offline houptee

• Technician
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2020, 09:36:14 AM »
What did you find when you tapped the system?

Offline re5513

• VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2020, 09:53:49 AM »
The low side was about 60 psi and stable, compressor running or not running.

I pulled the compressor and noted on the bench that it had no output on the high pressure side indicative of valve failure.

I found a good deal on a NIB compressor which I installed in the unit and also put in a new inverter board.  After nitrogen fill and then deep vacuum, I filled it with the specified 4.9oz of R-134a and the fridge appeared to be back in business.

I got a call about 3 days later indicating the fridge was no longer cooling.  I looked at it again over the weekend and found a leaking schrader valve on the low pressure service port on the new compressor.  That was frustrating.  Replaced schrader valve  It appears the new compressor now may have failed.  High pressure is a steady 95 psi, low pressure is a vacuum, no cooling.  Thus, tis a puzzlement at this point.

Offline tcarmen

• Technician
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2020, 02:10:12 PM »
If you didn't change the dryer and flush the high side, it has probably failed again. The compressors often leave a bunch of contamination in the system when they fail.

Offline re5513

• VIP Member
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2020, 03:04:47 PM »
I changed the dryer and installed a fresh one with the compressor swap.  I did not flush the system so perhaps that is the issue.  My thought is that the failed schrader got the system to a low freon state and overheated the compressor causing the somewhat temperature sensitive valve in the compressor to fail.

Offline mdesbans

• VIP Member
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2020, 08:31:39 PM »
Hello Houptee, I have an 2011 LG with a PCB # EBR733042. The compressore stopped working and I replaced it with the universal FLS075LANA compressor, and did perform the software update. I read the notice you posted about the PCB boards that need to be replaced. I could not find mine there, even though the manufactured date is old, form 2011. The new compressor does not want to start. Would you have any suggestions on what to do next? Can I test this invertor compressor? Please advise. Thanks!!!

Offline mdesbans

• VIP Member
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2020, 01:28:29 PM »
In case it helps anyone, I replaced the PCB with one manufactured in 2019. It shows "version 2" on the lower right side of the board (my original board showed version 1). I tried to a software update on this new board, but it did not go through. After reading a few posts online, I realized it did not need to be upgraded after all because the PCB was newer and already had been programmed for the new compressor. Once I replaced the board, the new compressor started working. Best.

Offline pmoph71

• VIP Member
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2020, 04:35:02 PM »
All, this is great news. I also have a 2011 LG fridge with the same EBR733042 board that shows version 1 in the lower right corner. If is understand correctly, a new main PCB assembly will not need to be programmed for my new compressor, right?
I'm looking at the AP5332617.