Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Need help with a LG LinearCompressor  (Read 18399 times)

Offline houptee

• Technician
Re: Need help with a LG LinearCompressor
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2021, 05:37:04 PM »

Hey Houptee, I'm ready to throw in the towel on this if the new compressor could have been damaged. Are the odds good that doing the software update on the new board will fix the problem? If not, it's the scrap heap for the LG. thanks,

If compressor is running it might be leak in sealed system or under or overcharged. How did you evacuate and weigh in the charge? It only needs the amount of 134a shown on the decal inside the fridge. Do you have guages hooked up to high and low side? When off the pressures should equalize at approximately 40psi and when running low side is very low almost 0 sometimes and around 100 high side. Pressure depends on the ambient temperature of the room but that is ballpark what to look for.
Many techs blow out the condenser with nitrogen and find black sludge comes out so some say they just automatically put in nrw condenser if doing compressor on LG to avoid call back.

Offline trishasue3

• VIP Member
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2021, 08:26:41 PM »
How do you know when your control board was manufactured?  We are trying to upgrade the software & it says failed.  Control board # EBR84457305 for Kenmore Elite / LG 795.73153610.   I saw posts that the board has to be manufactured after 2014, so I'm wondering if that is the problem.  The other compatible board (which we didn't purchase) is EBR78940512.  Is that possibly a better choice?
Thank you.

Offline Alhelpzer

• VIP Member
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2021, 04:25:13 PM »
Hey Houptee, I'm ready to throw in the towel on this if the new compressor could have been damaged. Are the odds good that doing the software update on the new board will fix the problem? If not, it's the scrap heap for the LG. thanks,

If compressor is running it might be leak in sealed system or under or overcharged. How did you evacuate and weigh in the charge? It only needs the amount of 134a shown on the decal inside the fridge. Do you have guages hooked up to high and low side? When off the pressures should equalize at approximately 40psi and when running low side is very low almost 0 sometimes and around 100 high side. Pressure depends on the ambient temperature of the room but that is ballpark what to look for.
Many techs blow out the condenser with nitrogen and find black sludge comes out so some say they just automatically put in nrw condenser if doing compressor on LG to avoid call back.
It sounds like you have a LOT of experience with this dreaded LG compressor situation so I'm hoping you can share some tips.

My LG fridge falls into the list of models that were a part of the class action lawsuit for bad compressors.  The fridge is about 4 years old and it has stopped cooling on both sides of the fridge/freezer.  Everything seems to check out and be functioning, no codes, etc. I found the service manual so I may do some additional tests but some of this stuff is beyond my experience.

LG FLB075LANA Linear Compressor.

The only real symptom beyond not cooling is the sound of the fridge running sounds a bit different than before. If I open the fridge side, I can hear the compressor and it sounds just slightly different than it did before.

All fans seem to work as they should. No issues with evaporator were present. Coil was clean overall. Fan on coil/compressor is running fine. I can hear both fans on fridge and freezer side engaging as they should.

Is it worth doing this test to see if the compressor is getting enough voltage? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXGEY8XDA4o

Considering there is a class action lawsuit for this compressor specifically, my guess is its the compressor itself.

I've changed out PCB boards on other fridges, changed out parts on my natural gas stove, natural gas dryer, multiple washers, etc. So I'm not new to appliance repair, but its not what I do regularly so I'm pretty much back to square one with each new problem that arises.

Anything else to check or test? I have a repair guy scheduled from LG but it sounds like they may not make it here for a while so I may be stuck without a fridge for a week or more so I want to be proactive and see if there is anything else I can test/check?

Offline houptee

• Technician
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2021, 09:55:53 PM »
AlhelpzerThe compressor is probably running but the reed valve inside broke so it is not compressing the gas anymore.
The smaller diameter tube coming out of the discharge of the compressor going to the condenser coil should be like 20 deg hotter than the room temp. So if its 75 deg F ambient in your kitchen the condenser should be around 95 deg give or take but definitely hotter than the room otherwise it is not pumping compressing the gas.

Or all the gas leaked out but most likely the valve broke in the linear compressor.

Neither of those possible issues would set any error codes on front of fridge display and would not flash any error on the main board either.

Offline Alhelpzer

• VIP Member
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2021, 09:39:58 AM »
AlhelpzerThe compressor is probably running but the reed valve inside broke so it is not compressing the gas anymore.
The smaller diameter tube coming out of the discharge of the compressor going to the condenser coil should be like 20 deg hotter than the room temp. So if its 75 deg F ambient in your kitchen the condenser should be around 95 deg give or take but definitely hotter than the room otherwise it is not pumping compressing the gas.

Or all the gas leaked out but most likely the valve broke in the linear compressor.

Neither of those possible issues would set any error codes on front of fridge display and would not flash any error on the main board either.

Thanks for the info and pm. Temperature wise the compressor itself gets quite hot, but by touching the lines it doesn't seem like they are cooling/heating up much more than ambient temperature of the room. The compressor is making a distinct noise, it sounds like its running but there is a bit of a ring to it. Your idea of the reed vale being broken may be the issue. It was maintaining around 63F but as I unplugged and re-plugged it in it now does not cool at all so the problem went from bad to worse almost immediately.  I'm scheduled to have a repair person show up sometime next week so I guess I am at their mercy since I don't have the proper tools to do a compressor repair myself. They said they are bringing a compressor along since its a common repair, fingers crossed this is the case.

To the experienced, is this compressor doomed to fail every few years? Seems like the class action lawsuit and peoples posts show that these compressors don't last all that long. I'm guessing I will ride out the new compressor as long as it lasts and then just buy a new fridge as I will be out of the 5 year extended repair window by LG covering the costs.

Offline houptee

• Technician
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2021, 10:21:12 PM »
The new version compressor seems to be lasting much longer they redesigned it and have new software update for the mainboard.
You might get more life out of it once they do the updates.
There were some older models that had leaks in the evaporator which sucks air into the tubing after all the gas is leaked out.
The oil in the system gels up when moisture mixes with it clogging up the tiny tubing so those machines are shot even if you replace the compressor because you cant clean all the gel sludge out of the tubing.

Offline Alhelpzer

• VIP Member
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2021, 12:23:01 PM »
The new version compressor seems to be lasting much longer they redesigned it and have new software update for the mainboard.
You might get more life out of it once they do the updates.
There were some older models that had leaks in the evaporator which sucks air into the tubing after all the gas is leaked out.
The oil in the system gels up when moisture mixes with it clogging up the tiny tubing so those machines are shot even if you replace the compressor because you cant clean all the gel sludge out of the tubing.
Thanks again for the guidance. So the repair guy showed up today and swapped out the compressor and said it was definitely a bad compressor. He removed the old compressor, installed a new one, vacuumed the system, refilled it, put the back cover on, and went on his way. I asked about a software update since I've seen that mentioned in the LG documentation and he said it is not required and is fine as is.

Any idea if this is accurate? The model of the new compressor is:
FLS075LANA

The old compressor was:
FLB075LANA

Any idea if this new compressor definitely required a software update? Or is this an old compressor that is the exact technology as the original one? Is this compressor essentially a new one but the same old technology that is doomed to fail, or is it a revised design?  If the software update should have been done, what would the issues be, or symptoms be if it does not have the proper software update
completed?

The fridge is dropping temperature steady and getting back to cooling temperatures so its definitely working as it should at least to start.

Offline houptee

• Technician
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2021, 02:59:37 PM »
The FLS075LANA is the newest version "universal" LG compressor that replaces several older model compressors, hence the nickname Universal.
It does require software/firmware update on the mainboard otherwise the new compressor can be damaged according to LG.

There may be an exception to software update only if the fridge has a separate inverter board control box down next to the compressor. That style fridge is older like 2010 era so I don't think your fridge is that old and you probably have one big board on the back with the inverter built into the main board. That type board needs to be flashed with new firmware.

Here is a LG training video that explains the process.
https://youtu.be/Z5oMBH3CSK0

Offline Alhelpzer

• VIP Member
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2021, 02:00:25 PM »
The FLS075LANA is the newest version "universal" LG compressor that replaces several older model compressors, hence the nickname Universal.
It does require software/firmware update on the mainboard otherwise the new compressor can be damaged according to LG.

There may be an exception to software update only if the fridge has a separate inverter board control box down next to the compressor. That style fridge is older like 2010 era so I don't think your fridge is that old and you probably have one big board on the back with the inverter built into the main board. That type board needs to be flashed with new firmware.

Here is a LG training video that explains the process.
https://youtu.be/Z5oMBH3CSK0
That all makes sense, thanks again for your insight. I had called the repair guy back again and he told me he has repaired a TON of these and he does not update the software and has no issues. He said to call back if I have cooling issues, but to "trust him as he is the repair guy and he knows best and better than the internet". The fridge has been running now for 2 or so days and is holding temperature on both the fridge and freezer side and seems to be working fine.

From what I could tell, the repair person wasn't local (About an hour away), but that's who LG sent. They were super efficient and had the repair done in maybe 20-30 minutes so I can't complain on any of their work, other than the fact that the compressor has the sticker saying to update the software and they did not do the update.

If the software is not updated should I expect it to prematurely fail?  Do you think I should call back and try to ask them to come update the software?

Offline scott1256ca

• VIP Member
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2021, 01:35:06 AM »
I have a kenmore 795.74033 made by lg that I just purchased cheap because it isn't cooling. I'm thinking the problem is likely the compressor.
I checked pressure on the shrader valve and it seems like it is about 60 psi whether running or not. When "running" it seems to vibrate some. Certainly more than it vibrates if I disconnect the power to the compressor.
Voltage on the compressor runs from about 60v to 100v (as I recall) even in test mode. I have no idea what the voltage range should be. Is that enough or does that indicate not enough voltage? Capacitor above the pcb seems to be ok, when I checked it with an ohm meter, but I didn't do an actual test for a proper time constant, just check resistance from discharge and watch it charge up and see resistance increase.
Compressor is flb075lbna.
Compressor does not seem to get warmer than ambient if I run it for 10 min. or so. I haven't tried any longer than that.
I guess I could try hooking the two terminals on the compressor to 120v, but houptee mentioned a "short" period of time. So what kind of time frame is that? Should I see some change after a couple of minutes or is even that too long?
I'm not a repair person, so I was hoping the problem would be something I could find and fix. I'll probably just resell it, but I'd like to know what to tell a potential buyer.

Thx for your time.
Oh, btw, since I'm not the original owner lg won't help me out, and it was purchased at sears in Canada and since they are out of business there is no warranty that I know of anyway. LG won't honor kenmore warranties here.

Offline exIL8zvD-n6NV

• VIP Member
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2021, 10:07:39 AM »
My board has an orange sticker that says FC75LBNA NTC on it.

quada, do you mind sharing your progress with this? I have the same model. From what I'm getting, the separate inverter board cannot be flashed with new software, and it's also hard to replace it as this model comes with 2 (main and inverter) PCB boards, which they later changed to 1 single in later models, but I haven't read a single success story of replacing the 2 boards with newer composite 1, so FLS075LANA isn't an option (unless LG aren't honest about it going out prematurely with non-updated inverter boards), therefore one should find an outdated hard to find now older yet still functional FC75LBNA to replace the faulty one.