Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool Dryer only drying on very high setting WED5790VQ1  (Read 256 times)

Offline mdniswan50

• VIP Member

Changed cycling  switch and timer no change.Does motor have high and low heat sitting?

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool Dryer only drying on very high setting WED5790VQ1
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 03:11:40 PM »
So on a lower heat setting you are getting no heat? I know you change the timer was it new? Though's timers are junk.

Offline Repairs.pridehvac

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 04:51:15 PM »
Have you checked the air flow to the exterior?  Dryers need good air flow or they may cause cycling relays to short cycle until they blow. You may be getting just enough air flow to keep fuses from blowing but it's affecting the heating. Check the exhaust at the roof or side of the house. You should get airflow, the difference will be night and day.

Offline mdniswan50

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 05:35:45 PM »
Dryer cleaned out inside.Dryer not even hook up to vent house.Took back panel off you see heater not turning enough for timed dry.for very dry comes on and off often.With timer changed and cycling switch .If motor has a high low .

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 09:35:40 PM »
Interesting.....

I just happen to have a Whirlpool Dryer (Model WED5810SW0) that just started running really HOT....even on lower temperature settings.  I haven't had a chance to do any troubleshooting yet, but I hope to tomorrow.   I'll first check the venting for a blockage as suggested above, but I think something else is going on.....after the dryer has been turned off, I could still hear a faint 'buzzing', so I unplugged it from the wall.   The Timer was replaced a couple of years ago with a 'refurbished' one.   I wonder if that has an issue too....?

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 08:27:20 AM »
I plugged my Dryer back in to check the air flow.   I didn't even have to turn the dryer on, I saw the issue immediately.   I felt heat and could see the heating element glowing.   The dryer wasn't even running and the door was open.   I'm SOOOOO glad I unplugged the unit when we went on vacation last week - that's freaking scary!!

From what I've read, I'm either looking at a shorted Heating Element or an issue with the Heat Switch on the Motor.....does that sound right to you guys?   And if it's switch on the motor....can that be ordered separately or would I be looking at a complete motor replacement?

Whirlpool - Model WED5810SW0