Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool washer agitates in one direction  (Read 389 times)

Offline ryan111

• Technician
    • Appliance-repair-it.com
Whirlpool washer agitates in one direction
« on: July 03, 2019, 11:57:47 AM »

I worked on a whirlpool washer last week that was agitating in one direction which caused it to flag an overflow error code and leak. I don't know the model number but it was a VMW model with a tall agitator.

When it agitates in one direction like it was doing water would rise up and over the tub. So looking at the service pointer that talks about this it says it may do this with no load because the control is looking for resistance before changing directions.

My assumption is that with a full tub of water it shouldn't do this. I also assumed the contol was at fault. The coustomer opted not to do the repair. Am I correct with my two assumptions?

One more note is I reached down and held the agitator to give it more resistance it did start agitating correctly.
http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/
Where everyone can repair it!

Offline jeff5may

• VIP Member
Re: Whirlpool washer agitates in one direction
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 09:24:01 AM »
What was the original complaint or symptom? The vmw washers are overly smart and like to rebel. Even in service mode, they behave as they wish. Better get a good grip on the operating modes and fault modes, as the things are everywhere now. I'll never own one, but they're like a Kia: the first couple of years, people love them.

Offline Joey Bullock

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 09:24:02 AM »
Check the capacitor.  If it's not up to spec's the machine may do wierd things like that.

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 07:24:12 AM »
I've run across several that will do this, capacitor was the problem.

Offline ryan111

• Technician
    • Appliance-repair-it.com
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 12:00:03 PM »
I am sorry guys I didn't know anyone had responded I just haven't  looked.

Thanks for the tip about the capacitor I might have condemned this one for no reason if it was just the the capacitor.

My assumption about it being the control was based off the service pointer from whirlpool saying that they may agitate in one direction in service mode due to it not having a load. Then it goes on to say the control looks for resistance on the agitator before it changes motor directions. I wasn't too sure about my call hint I posted on here.

Jeff5may the original complant was leaking water which was caused by it agitating in one direction which spun the water over the tub.

http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/
Where everyone can repair it!

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 02:12:36 PM »
Please let us know if the capacitor was the problem.