Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Dryer sheets keep clogging drain  (Read 327 times)

Offline bigge31566

• VIP Member
Dryer sheets keep clogging drain
« on: July 03, 2019, 07:21:45 AM »

I have a Kenmore 110-47511701 and within the last year the drain to pump has been becoming clogged with dryer sheets mostly and not draining, just wondering just after 10 years this is just becoming a problem nothing about clothes process has changed, I know someone  will say dont let them get in there, but they have always except they are making it to the drain, is there a path I need to be looking at

Offline jeff5may

• VIP Member
Re: Dryer sheets keep clogging drain
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 09:43:55 AM »
Ok so your washer is a front load he2, yes? Same thing as a Whirlpool duet sport.

I can tell you that there is no way the dryer sheets can be digested by the washer, unless you're using some sort of water soluble dryer sheets. The filter screen in the drain pump body is too fine to pass dryer sheets. I'm not a dryer sheet scientist, so I can't tell you how many times the fabric formulas have been changed. Assuming your statement is true, someone must have made them less biodegradable or larger enough to block the drain flow.

Easiest solution (besides sorting through the load) is to increase your scheduled frequency on the filter check. In my experience, 99 percent don't check the filter until the slow drain happens. When queried, the operator cites the recommendation (unless they know me well enough to be honest). Then, when I open the shell and find a year worth of junk, they exclaim "THANK YOU, I'VE BEEN SEARCHING FOR THAT FOR SIX MONTHS!" That was grandma's hand me down dubulidue from the other country. The what-ifs abound, but that's not me. Again, scientists.

Offline dab147315

• Technician

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 09:53:16 PM »
I am trying to figure out how dryer sheets get into the washer after wearing the clothes (that could be the only way it could go from the dryer back to the washer after getting dirty). Am I missing something?

Offline Caddy4343

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 11:57:35 AM »
Dryer sheets are absolutely the worse things that you can put in a dryer.  They are coated with wax.  As the dryer tumbles and heats the wax coats the dryer lint screen preventing air flow.  When the hot air can't get through the lint screen the operating thermostat isn't satisfied or is under satisfied.  This causes the heating element to continue heating even though the drum area is hot.  Sometimes it gets so hot that the top of the dryer feels too hot to touch.  Eventually the high temp safety blows.  Try running water over the lint screen.  If the water pools the screen is clogged and should be replaced.

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 10:34:48 PM »
It's probably these "laundry sheets" that are designed to be put into the washer. They may be okay in a top load, but a horrible idea in a front load washer.
https://amzn.to/2FZer31

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 10:50:02 PM »
Purex was marketing them about 10 years ago. I was pulling them out of pumps at least a few times a week. They discontinued the product, I'm sure for that reason. I joked at the time that it was my favorite new laundry product.