Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: How to access drain tube on Kenmore fridge?  (Read 293 times)

Offline stanstr

• VIP Member
How to access drain tube on Kenmore fridge?
« on: July 01, 2019, 11:13:57 PM »

My mother in law has a Kenmore 363.9762821 refrigerator. It leaks water to under the crisper drawers, and out the fridge onto the floor. I've cleared drain tubes in other refrigerators before, but can't figure out how to access it on this one. Searching for a fix, I get videos showing to remove a couple 1/4" screws on the back wall of the freezer to remove it and and lift the 'floor' of the freezer, to get to the drain hole, but this unit doesn't have any screws or seemingly any way to inside the back wall.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses keep it simple
    • Appliance Repair
Re: How to access drain tube on Kenmore fridge?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 05:54:37 AM »
This should be a very simple repair. Remove the icemaker and the back wall in the freezer. Remove any ice that is build up. if there's ice in the drain get some hot water and a turkey baster work it back and forth until you clear the obstruction. remove the back cover down by the compressor there should be a P-trap there it probably has some junk in it. You may have to take it off and wash it out. you may have to blow the drain out from the top with a small hose. should be a very simple job.

Offline stanstr

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 08:46:21 PM »
Yes, it's a simple repair. I've done it on other units.
Take the ice maker out, then unscrew and remove the back wall and the bottom panel ('floor') of the freezer. Remove the ice that has built up from the water that melted off the evaporator and refrozen there because the drain tube is clogged. Then do the turkey baster thing to unclog the drain tube.

BUT, how do you get the back wall off this thing? There pic is there mostly to show there are no screws. I can't see how the back can be removed. I've removed the icemaker, and light cover and tried prying gently around the edges, but there doesn't seem to be any way to get the back wall off.

How do you get the back wall off?

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 05:20:32 AM »
Remove the light cover. And there may be a screw behind that and also a screw in a far left top corner. after removing them if you look in the grill at the very top there are two little tiny plastic Keepers just lift up on them. sometimes they might break off don't worry about it I just put it all back together. I have on occasion had to run a screw through the cover into a safe plastic area to reinstall. also you'll have to pop the little vent off for the ice maker the little square vent. put a small screwdriver in one side and release it
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 05:21:40 AM by haroldsappliance »

Offline stanstr

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 01:42:03 AM »
Thank you Harold!

I got the inside back of the freezer off. It's a bit embarrassing that I didn't see those clips - actually, didn't think that's what they were for - every one I've ever done before had screws to remove.

There wasn't any icing up and the evaporator was mostly free of frost and ice. I poured a couple ounces of hot water across it, and some came out the drain tube into the pan down below, but a lot more came out from around the plastic thingie with the little built in p-trap. Took that and the tube out, and after a good cleaning water came through nicely. Put it all back together and everything was ok.
The next day my M-I-L says there's a lot of water on the floor below the fridge. I go back and go through it all again, but it's still all good. While I'm checking it out from the back of the fridge, the ice maker calls for water and water gushes from the bottom of the solenoid for some seconds.

OK. I have a solenoid problem. What do I do? Wait for it to call for water again? No way! I disconnect the solenoid, and cut and strip both sides about 1/4 inch from the end of an old power cord. Plug it in and tap the wires on the solenoid terminals, and the solenoid clicks on - and water shoots from where the tube to the icemaker attaches. I take the solenoid out and when I put power to it it clicks. I put the tubing in, but tightening it doesn't hold the tubing in place.

It took a while, but I finally figured out there was a maybe 1/4" piece of tubing in there. Take that out and now I can put more in and tighten it. The old tubing was hard and just broke at the connection. I'm betting the solenoid is ok, and will go back tomorrow(?) to put it back in. I also have more than enough 1/4" vinyl tubing to replace what's there, as well as some 1/4" Stainless Steel tubing and a SS tube union.

I really hate having to pull that (or any) fridge out from the wall to work on it. The kitchen doesn't seem that narrow with it in place, and the 1955 vintage floor tiles and the hardwood under them really don't like being disturbed (or wet).

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 09:49:30 AM »
I'm out of breath from reading your comment. LOL. Okay that ice maker quarter inch plastic tube gets brittle at the bottom where it comes out of the solenoid. Most likely you just need to replace that 1/4 inch tubing.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 09:50:34 AM by haroldsappliance »