Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Frigidaire - Ice on the outside(back) temp going up and down  (Read 280 times)

Offline jcornaglia

• VIP Member

I have a Frigidaire LGHB2867PF5 - gallery model with French doors and ice maker up top and bottom.  Them temp in both freezer and refrigerator side were going up and down and staying too high to keep our food in there.  Coils are clean.  When I pulled it out, i noticed ice on the back, up top where the ice maker is located.  This can't be normal.  Frigidaire tells me to call a technician but I want to try and diagnose myself if possible.  Are my temps up and down and the ice on the back related or unrelated issues?  I was thinking of putting in a new thermistor and evap motor but highly doubt those will help with the freezing on the outside/back of the unit.  I've read on this forum there may be a air handling housing kit that might help but I also read some people have had it installed only to have the freezing reoccur.  Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Offline Draymc48

• Technician
Re: Frigidaire - Ice on the outside(back) temp going up and down
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 08:12:30 PM »
You definitely need a technician out, and try to find one that is factory certified by Frigidaire. Those particular fridges have issues with the defrost drain for the fresh food ice maker.

Offline jcornaglia

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 09:55:29 AM »
I found what appears to be a good video on how to access this defrost drain and a possible, home made repair to keep the drain from freezing in the future.  My question is, would this frozen defrost drain be part of my problem with the temperatures not staying cold enough and going up/down or do I have two separate problems going on at the same time?  I replaced the thermistor in the refrigerator portion because it was inexpensive and easy to access.  But that had no effect on my temperatures being where they need to be. My evap fan runs and my condensor fan is also running.   Maybe I have problem with my compressor?  Any help appreciated.  Thanks

Offline Draymc48

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 04:30:11 PM »
I typically see the fresh food ice maker drain line leak straight down in the return hole for the freezer section, thus causing an ice blockage on freezer coil. May want to pop the back cover for the evaporator and see what it looks like

Offline jcornaglia

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 05:32:31 AM »
Thank you Draymc48.  Pulled the lower comparment apart last night.  Took a blow dryer to the evaporator and pipes for 15 minutes to remove the ice.  Woke up this morning and I have Zero and 36 for my temps, which the Refrigerator/Freezer has not had in days.  So I am thank you again and am keeping my fingers crossed that I am out of woods until the next time I need to do this. So far so good though.  You Rock