Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag gas dryer model LDG 8426 AAM  (Read 688 times)

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Maytag gas dryer model LDG 8426 AAM
« on: June 16, 2019, 12:35:39 PM »

A few years ago I put a message on this web site asking other folks if they had ever tried to put a 1/3 hp motor into this model dryer in place of the original 1/4 hp  design.  I was given a dryer of the above model  number today. It has a 1/4 hp motor . IMO the 1/4 hp motor just does not have enough starting torque when the bearings get worn or are full of dirt. This motor was bound up. I took the motor out and cleaned all of the dirt out of the windings and both  bearing areas.  I then used penetrating oil several times on either end  into the bearings and eventually got it freed up .  I put it all back together and it will now turn the drum but growls a little when starting . So far in checking other  older Maytag units I cannot find a unit with a  1/3 hp motor that will fit and work in place of this 1/4 hp version. The rest of the dryer is in very nice clean condition. Does anyone out there have any suggestions ?

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Maytag gas dryer model LDG 8426 AAM
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 11:36:15 AM »
I decided to try one more thing on this dryer  before I give up. I took the motor out of the unit again and put it in my bench vise up on end, I drilled 2 small holes about 1/8 inch in diameter in the bearing end cap and put as much penetrating oil into each bearing as I could. This was done several times. I did this on both ends and then resealed the holes with some RTV sealant. The motor was put back in place and retried to see what the results were. No significant improvement . This 1/4 hp motor just does not have enough starting torque as compared to the 1/3 hp version. The dryer is a 29" wide unit which makes it a little heavier than a 27" type. I have a used 1/3 hp dryer motor but the rotation is wrong and the blower wheel is the wrong type.

Offline swong

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 06:53:21 AM »
Did you try sourcing a replacement motor on eBay?  I've had pretty good success getting both NOS (new old stock) and used dryer motors.  You might not see any on your first visit but eventually they do show up for sale which is why when I see the old gas valve coils at a decent price I usually scarf them all up

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 08:03:03 AM »
I have been watching for that type of motor but none so far that I want to  buy. I really want to find a 1/3 hp version that will fit and work in place of the original 1/4 hp version. If I find something that will work I will publish the info .

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 01:17:43 PM »
I am putting this message out for input from other wise appliance owls to comment on in hopes of some new ideas. Other products such as older AMANA washers use a capacitor on the motor which presumably is in the circuit to help the motor start the wash tub rotating . I would like to consider adding this item into the circuit to aid this dryer  starting problem. Specifically this 29" diameter dryer uses a 1/4 HP motor and almost all I have worked on use a 1/3 HP motor on a 27" diameter tub.  Does anyone have some info on this capacitor size and how to wire it into a dryer motor start circuit ?   Thanks for your input.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 01:49:42 PM »
Today I tried something a little different on this dryer which may or may not be acceptable to many folks. I dug up a capacitor I had salvaged a few years ago from a house 2.5 ton AC unit and wired it into the start circuit on the motor of this dryer. The capacitor case gives the rating as  0.85 microfarad and a working voltage 2400 VAC.  I put it in parallel with the start winding .This is redwire /terminal 30 of the push to start switch to the red wire connection on the motor. I started it up and it appears to have done some good in regard to the starting torque of the motor. I am not sure if this is adequate and I would like to find a bigger one from a washing machine motor. Any comments from other folks. ?

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 06:38:16 PM »
Sorry, I hope you have some liability insurance. https://www.thehartford.com/general-liability-insurance

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 09:32:47 PM »
Without trying to sound nasty, Maytag products were the best engineered products and were mostly overkill in design. How old is that dryer? At least 25+ years old, so if the original 1/4 hp motor lasted 25 years why do you need a larger motor? If it ain't broken don't fix it.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 09:43:23 PM »
Without trying to sound nasty, Maytag products were the best engineered products and were mostly overkill in design. How old is that dryer? At least 25+ years old, so if the original 1/4 hp motor lasted 25 years why do you need a larger motor? If it ain't broken don't fix it.
Yes sir the best dryer!!!!!!!!

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 08:53:38 AM »
I agree that the older Maytag brand and most of the models are very good designs and last a long time. Repairs are fairly low cost and easy to do. . Exceptions are the Atlantis model washers and dryers. The timers in those models are crappy and quite expensive and repairs are just about impossible as I have taken them apart and tried. The units such as the one I worked on with a 1/4 HP motor and a 29" drum are a poor setup especially after they get some wear on the bearings as compared to the 1/3 HP  motor and a 27" drum. Adding a capacitor to the start circuit helps and I dont see much if any liability of doing this .  I am going to try and included a couple of pictures here (if it works )

Offline swong

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 10:48:06 AM »
I would be very hesitant about modifying anything in the dryer's wiring simply because of homeopwner's insurance ramifications.  Yes, your added capacitor might make your dryer a above average performer however if the modified dryer catches fires (God forbid) and the home burns down (worse case) the homeowner's insurance policy might not pay or even dis-allow the claim as it is NOT sanctioned or warrantied by the appliance manufacturer.  Would you really want to gamble on this?  Me, I'd rather avoid jeopardizing my homeowners insurance especially knowing a fire claim can go to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars on a catastrophic insurance payout ....

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 11:06:56 AM »
This is a gas dryer I have worked on not an electric so I dont see much of a problem with the wiring, Biggest problem  in the units I work on is the lint buildup in the bottom section. Quite often I take a dryer in for repairs after a trade and find almost a grocery bag full of lint in the bottom end. GE and Frigidaire are bad due to the rear vertical arrangement of the heating coil for the electric versions. It requires a lot of work to dismantle this area to clean it out. I am suprised more of these units dont catch fire. The opinion is appreciated however.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 02:47:48 PM »
For the benefit of anyone else who wants to try this idea ,this is the schematic as I installed it.