Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Neptune MAH4000 "control board damage/no lock, no spin": lock indicator question  (Read 347 times)

Offline colinQbang

• VIP Member

I have a question about the old Neptune "door lock wax motor fails, taking machine control board (particularly, resistor R11 and TRIAC Q6*) with it" problem**:

Does the door lock indicator not light ONLY because the "wax motor" that locks the door failed? Or is the control board damage likely to, by itself, prevent the door lock indication? (I replaced the wax motor, and an attempt was made at repairing the board, so the answer will help determine if the board repair failed or if, instead, there is a locking problem unrelated to the control board).

Thanks!
---

*At least these -- some commenters on various forums suggest that replacing only these 2 often doesn't fix it, but I don't have a "known good" washer to test it on, nor a "known good" machine control board to compare it to, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to verify the functioning of the board some other way. Apparently neither is Circuit Board Medics -- they're the ones who attempted to repair it and they said they don't have a way to definitively test the functionality. They also said "several" (without specifying) components were replaced. I can't verify that -- from looking at the board I can only see re-soldering was obviously done around R11. I'd be surprised if they didn't also replace the TRIAC labeled "Q6" since that seems to be common knowledge regarding this failure mode, but the soldering looks just like the rest so if they did it they did a super clean job. Foolishly, I didn't think to photograph the board before I sent it for repair.

**  Often called a "doesn't spin" problem, but it is a "doesn't lock" problem because washers are supposed to not spin when not locked.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 10:46:28 AM by colinQbang »

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Wax motor in the switch was the issue of burning up the R11 on the board. Change the door switch and replace the control or repair the board. That is what Maytag told me 20 years ago.

Offline colinQbang

• VIP Member
Wax motor in the switch was the issue of burning up the R11 on the board. Change the door switch and replace the control or repair the board.
Thanks, theoldstoveguy, I do appreciate your taking time to reply. But as I said I did that (well, I replaced the wax motor -- the door switch or other switches were never part of this known problem). But the lock indicator light still doesn't light* , so did the board repair fail or is there an unrelated issue preventing locking? That's why my question was just "is the control board damage likely to, by itself, prevent the door lock indication?"

Thanks to anyone who can answer!
---
* (I also, since my post, verified that the wax motor doesn't budge -- the board doesn't appear to attempt locking--but the machine spins if I have manually depressed the switch that the locking movement is supposed to cause to be depressed.)

Offline def

• VIP Member
  • I'll fix anything...sometimes, I'm successful.
Wax motor in the switch was the issue of burning up the R11 on the board. Change the door switch and replace the control or repair the board.
Thanks, theoldstoveguy, I do appreciate your taking time to reply. But as I said I did that (well, I replaced the wax motor -- the door switch or other switches were never part of this known problem). But the lock indicator light still doesn't light* , so did the board repair fail or is there an unrelated issue preventing locking? That's why my question was just "is the control board damage likely to, by itself, prevent the door lock indication?"

Thanks to anyone who can answer!
---
* (I also, since my post, verified that the wax motor doesn't budge -- the board doesn't appear to attempt locking--but the machine spins if I have manually depressed the switch that the locking movement is supposed to cause to be depressed.)

I believe you may have answered your own question...when you activate the door locked switch manually, the Neptune continues the cycle. When I repaired my Neptune, I was careful to insert the new wax motor carefully into the correct position and all has been well since. Unless the control board has again become damaged in some way, it sounds like your wax motor is not working. Check the electrical connections and verify that you are receiving voltage to the wax motor and that it is nested correctly in place to eventually actuate the door locking mechanism. My guess is another bad wax motor.

But, visually check the control board again for damaged R11 and Q6. They are easily replaced if you have a soldering iron (if not, a soldering iron is only a few bucks along with rosin core electrical solder).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 06:39:46 AM by def »
I used to repair MK56 GFCS RADAR...now, I'm a farmer.