Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Looking at new fridges, was told avoid these brands  (Read 334 times)

Offline cvcman

• VIP Member
Looking at new fridges, was told avoid these brands
« on: June 11, 2019, 05:37:12 PM »

Looking for either side by side or bottom freezer, local repair shop said abound Samsung, GE, Magic Chef... said go with a Whirlpool brand,, your thoughts

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
Re: Looking at new fridges, was told avoid these brands
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 08:29:38 PM »
I find all of the newer models to be more prone to problems than the older, less efficient ones that were designed with durability given higher priority in construction.  That said, I do find that the Whirlpool brands are not as bad as the others on the market.

Offline manden

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 09:15:21 AM »
I would not buy any make that has a dual evaporator.

Offline swong

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 10:49:41 AM »
As a homeowner, I've gone through a total of 6 refrigerators over a 40 year period and Whirlpool has, for us, been the most reliable at the expense of very limited frills.  I personally would NOT consider LG, Frigidaire and Samsung in that order.  The basic refrigerator (top freezer, refrigerator on bottom with condenser coils on the backside) were the most reliable.  Maybe it's because of the limited amount of hardware that comes with this type design but it's proven design (2 fans...one cooling the condenser coils and the freezer evaporator fan) is not only reliable but also easy to troubleshoot and repair.  Cold air freezes frozen foods on top then using basic physics, the same cold air migrates to bottom refrigerator ...... cold settles downward!   I've posted just recently on my debacle with our LG french door refrigerator which was acquired new only to die after only 17 months of use.  I might have gotten a "dud" but LG reliability is absolutely horrible with their linear compressor dying at high failure rates.  Samsung is only slightly better in reliability but still has evaporator freeze-over problems along with their incessantly clogging "duck-bill" drain lines.  You mentioned a desire for a bottom freezer so just be aware the compressor will labor harder as you are simply asking the colder freezer air to migrate up towards the refrigerator compartment.  This means possibly the addition of another fan to push this air or possibly a second evaporator for the refrigerator.  Finally all refrigerators nowadays have the condenser buried on the bottom which makes it more difficult to expel condenser heat not to mention the difficulty of accessing the condenser coils for yearly cleaning.  As for frills, if you have a water dispenser and possibly a ice maker it's just another item to eventually break then repair.  For me, there's nothing wrong using water filled ice cube trays for my Summer ice.  I keep jugs of tap water in the refrigerator compartment for those seasons when cold water is required.  Good luck in your choice !

Wife had me use a rebated credit card for our recent Whirlpool (model WRT518SZFM) purchase at Home Depot.  With a credit card we get double the manufacturers warranty, a 2% cash rebate on the purchase, and CitiBank's "Price Rewind" perk which guarantees you the price you pay will be the cheapest for the next 90 days.  If you find a cheaper price CitiBank will refund you the difference in price after you provide them with your invoice and a screen capture of the lower price.  Home Depot also provides you with a price difference refund if the same refrigerator goes down in price after you have made the initial purchase.  We ended up paying jut a tad under $500 for this Whirlpool 18 cubic footer top freezer that's with local taxes and delivery and haulaway of our dud LG
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:07:39 AM by swong »

Offline cvcman

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 01:13:22 PM »
I would not buy any make that has a dual evaporator.

How do o tell if itís dual ??

Offline cvcman

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 03:52:07 PM »
I may go with another side by side Whirlpool like I have now,,, mine is working but I wanted a back up because itís getting old and if it quits Iíd like to have one in the basement I can just move upstairs..or buy a 10 vf small one and put it in the basement..
Then if my big one quits I can order one and put my food in the small one till it comes