Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: WRF736SDAM11 Icemaker problem  (Read 949 times)

Offline schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
WRF736SDAM11 Icemaker problem
« on: June 10, 2018, 11:03:37 AM »

This is one of the in roof icemakers.

The original icemaker was bad. in test mode it would not harvest.  Had an error code E2 when test 56 was run.  No ice jam, so we replaced the icemaker. 

tested the water valve just to be sure there was no problem with it and it worked fine.

Customer said it made ice once and then no longer made ice. 
returned and found the fill tube heater not working and the fill tube frozen.. ok no problem.  Maybe we damaged it putting the icemaker in.  Put in a new fill tube heater.

Customer said same thing.  It made ice once and never again.  she can hear it cycle, but no fill or ice.

We go back again.  fill tube is not frozen. no ice in icemaker.
Run icemaker test 56. no errors
run harvest test, all ok.
test valve, icemaker fills
customer calls later and says it made ice once and she can hear it cycling later, but no more ice and not water filling sound.

Reading the tech data, the water fill votage comes from board when the icemaker is done cycling.  Do we have a bad board or a bad icemaker?

I ordered a new icemaker to install. just to rule that out.  I use them fairly often so no big deal to have that in stock if it is not the solution.  Don't want to buy the board unless I am sure thats the issue.

I have the tech sheets.. anyone seen this issue or have any thoughts?
"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
  • No bull no excuses keep it simple
    • Appliance Repair
Re: WRF736SDAM11 Icemaker problem
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 04:06:25 AM »
Can you give us some follow-up information on this issue?

Offline schleven

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 07:23:52 AM »
I installed another new icemaker and it did the same thing. made ice once then stopped.  She did not want to spend the money on a board.  I refunded the money for the icemaker.
I would assume it was a board issue, not sure.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 12:23:37 PM »
 I read somewhere this morning that that water supply power source comes out of the main board

Offline schleven

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 03:45:34 PM »
I think it had to be the board. It would fill in test mode, bg ut after making ice once it would not anymore

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 12:07:55 PM »
The single primary and dual secondary water valves on this unit is powered through the P3 connector off the main computer.  I installed a new ice maker in refrigerator this morning which was showing an E3 ice maker error code which is failure to return to home position. This unit is 2 years old and I noticed my supplier is showing main board as  nla. The icemaker I replaced had the dual sweep fingers at rest at 12 and 6 position, where as they should have been at 3 and 9. No obstructions.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:09:05 PM by haroldsappliance »

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 05:23:53 AM »
 here's a follow-up to my last comment. The ice maker that I installed is working and working correctly problem solved. However on a separate job with the same above-mentioned issue ice maker goes through one cycle and stops and doesn't continue. Now this is where the original ice maker removed and reinstalled. I'm scheduled to install a new ice maker in a few days I'm thinking that may not solve the problem after reading the above post but we shall find out and I'll post results. in the meantime if there's any one out there with any experience on this particular problem please give us some feedback thank you.....Also on a side note I have discovered that there are at least two different part numbers for this POS ice maker. Basically the same ice maker with different wiring connections. Whirlpool has really let myself and everyone in America down with their substandard garbage.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 05:28:34 AM by haroldsappliance »

Offline schleven

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 07:46:36 AM »
Whirlpool has really let myself and everyone in America down with their substandard garbage.

Yep

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance Repair
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 04:29:08 AM »
Schleven I think I have found the solution to this problem. I had the exact same problem with the exact same refrigerator with the exact same error code. I replace the ice maker and same thing one dump of ice and no more. Customer call and inform me of no ice I suggested that customer turn breaker off and back on refrigerator as I knew He couldn't pull it out to unplug He called me back 2 hours later it had made four dumps of ice. Now on the same design refrigerator numerous times I have went out and discovered unit completely unresponsive except for lights. Non-running refrigerator I unplugged unit disrupted power to the main control board and plugged it back in after a minute or so. Unit came back on running working with no call backs on any of them. I think there was a glitch in that board concerning that ice maker, and rebooting that computer solve that problem. Hope this helps
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 04:32:01 AM by haroldsappliance »

Offline schleven

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 07:31:44 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I believe we did unplug it, intending to do a reboot.  Not 100% sure.  But either way, it seems that it is either a reboot is needed or its a computer glitch for sure. 
We may have unplugged it while installing the icemaker, but not again after it was installed.
I will most certainly be rebooting them after installing any future icemakers!

Offline apu

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 08:22:47 AM »

Thank you both for the info.

Jim