Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Kenmore Elite H5 No Heat Issue  (Read 631 times)

Offline agdparker

• VIP Member
Kenmore Elite H5 No Heat Issue
« on: May 27, 2019, 08:35:11 PM »

I have a Kenmore Elite H5 Model 110.97087601 (gas) version that stopped drying.  The drum turns and air is blowing, but it never gets hot.  When in diagnostics mode, error code F-28 was displayed.  I ran through the troubleshooting steps and ended up on Step 5 of test 4A.  I measured the resistance between P4-3 and P4-6, but I admit that I'm a bit of noob when it comes to multimeters.  The resistance I measured showed it as an open loop, according to my digital multimeter.  I interpreted that reading to mean I needed a new outlet thermistor, according to the steps.  I am concerned that I did not complete the step correctly as I was expecting some sort of resistance.  Hoping for some help.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: Kenmore Elite H5 No Heat Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 09:54:22 AM »
This video show you how to check thermistor.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8wwbY7yzSQ

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 10:51:37 AM »

You have a gas dryer so disconnect this connector! GAS DRYER: Remove the P14 connector, then measure the resistance between P14-3 (red-white wire) and P14-6 (red-white wire) at the connector. ➔ If the resistance is OK, check P14-3 and P14-6 to machine ground.
➔ If resistance is greater than 0 (zero), replace wiring harness.
ALL DRYERS:
The following table gives temperatures and their associated resistance values.
You should have about 11 thousand ohms at 70 degrees. There is also a chart you can follow at different temperatures. So with the connector removed you're measuring the wiring harness to the thermistor for a complete circuit and should read about 11 thousand ohms.

Offline agdparker

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 01:22:22 PM »

You have a gas dryer so disconnect this connector! GAS DRYER: Remove the P14 connector, then measure the resistance between P14-3 (red-white wire) and P14-6 (red-white wire) at the connector. ➔ If the resistance is OK, check P14-3 and P14-6 to machine ground.
➔ If resistance is greater than 0 (zero), replace wiring harness.
ALL DRYERS:
The following table gives temperatures and their associated resistance values.
You should have about 11 thousand ohms at 70 degrees. There is also a chart you can follow at different temperatures. So with the connector removed you're measuring the wiring harness to the thermistor for a complete circuit and should read about 11 thousand ohms.
Right.  I did all that and I'm not measuring any ohms.  It just reads open loop.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 01:39:28 PM »
8577274 check the thermistor for the correct ohms right at the thermistor itself.Remove bottom panel and then remove the two wires that connect to it.There is a video if you click on the part number.
      Most important that your meter is on the right scale. Like 20 thousand or higher Or 20K or higher or you will not get a reading at all and you will think you have a open circuit. Some meter may not be able to read higher ohms. Hope this helps. You could post a picture of your meter in the attachment section below if you're not sure.

Offline agdparker

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 08:27:22 PM »
8577274 check the thermistor for the correct ohms right at the thermistor itself.Remove bottom panel and then remove the two wires that connect to it.There is a video if you click on the part number.
      Most important that your meter is on the right scale. Like 20 thousand or higher Or 20K or higher or you will not get a reading at all and you will think you have a open circuit. Some meter may not be able to read higher ohms. Hope this helps. You could post a picture of your meter in the attachment section below if you're not sure.
Thanks, I tried that setting and got a 12.5, which seems to indicate the thermistor is OK and I need to replace the machine control electronics according to the tech sheet?

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 03:57:32 PM »
Hopefully you check the thermal fuse and other safety parts too! For the no heat problem.

Offline agdparker

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 09:27:54 AM »
Hopefully you check the thermal fuse and other safety parts too! For the no heat problem.
Dab, I didn't check that as it wasn't in the troubleshooting steps on the tech sheet for the error code on my machine.  Are you saying that I should not follow the tech sheet's advice to replace the machine control electronics?

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 09:54:57 AM »
Yeah check that to.

Offline agdparker

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 01:36:55 PM »
Hi all!  Just an update that the thermal fuse did the trick on the drying problem.  I may have another problem indicated by the problem code, but it seems to be working fine at this point.

Thanks so much for the assistance!

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 05:32:46 PM »
 :cheers: