Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Crosley washer model CAW833RQ1  (Read 490 times)

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
Crosley washer model CAW833RQ1
« on: May 23, 2019, 09:22:59 PM »

I just came into possession of the above model washer . It has a bad timer and will not advance  from one portion of the cycle to the next. It merely makes a noise but nothing moves. I can move the rotary dial by hand and it will then proceed into the next cycle sector.  I have seen this a  few times before  on other models and am pretty certain it is a malfunctionng timer device. This timer is an OEM #3955489C and is quite expensive. Does anyone have a suggestion for a cheaper type timer to fit and work for this washer.

Offline def

• VIP Member
  • I'll fix anything...sometimes, I'm successful.
Re: Crosley washer model CAW833RQ1
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 10:55:39 AM »
Hmmmm...I had a girlfriend in HS that had a Crosley car...a little bit of a thing. The girl was pretty...the Crosley? Not so much.

I have restored operation of similar mechanical devices in the past by opening them up (to the extent that you can gain access to the innards without damaging the timer) and spraying the insides with aerosol silicone spray lubricant. This spray is non conductive, is benign to plastic and other similar nonmetallic pieces and will clean away most debris that may be impeding the timer from advancing correctly. Worth a try. Hope you get the Crosley running again. 
I used to repair MK56 GFCS RADAR...now, I'm a farmer.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 11:07:59 AM »
Thanks I will give it a try but I dont hold much hope for it.

Offline def

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 01:36:07 PM »
Do you hear the clock motor running? If the clock runs, then there is some part of the linkage/gear package that advances the contact package that is not functioning. I'm sure it is hard to see because it is probably mostly enclosed and pretty much inaccessible. However, the silicone lube/flush may free up things enough to restore timer advance once again. Fingers crossed for you.

Offline def

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 01:54:54 PM »
A further look at the photo pf the replacement timer shows the timer is a mostly plastic outer case. There may be assembly tabs that allow snap-together assembly (and potential for opening it up). If something were to snap (break) while fiddling with the timer, plastic usually allows simple repairs to get things back together (a little dab of JB Weld works well with broken plastic parts).

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 01:59:20 PM »
The timer motor does run as far as I can hear. I took it apart and it clicks slightly. The timer cover was removed and all the cam rings turn with no binding. My guess is that a  plastic gear down inside is stripped but it can not be accessed easily.

Offline def

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 02:05:46 PM »
Do you suppose the clicking is the advance ratchet pawl? Clicking would seem to indicate some attempt at movement. You may be correct...stripped plastic gear somewhere in the mechanism. But, the timer is manufactured by Whirlpool as far as I can tell. There may be some discarded timers out there that might provide a salvageable part. This means further digging.

I agree, the replacement timer is way out of the question regarding price. 

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 06:01:30 AM »
Thanks for the input. If anyone has a working timer of this type please get back to me. Contact me via e mail at   jaybird@mtco.com

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 12:59:53 AM »
After much experimentation and wasting a lot of water I ended up putting this unit into the scrap heap at a local junkyard. The junkyard I deal with is close  so very little wasted gas money but for the info of other folks I ended up with a payout of $4.80  scrap price .

Offline def

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 01:27:46 AM »
Pity. Crosley, RIP (rust in piece).

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 08:34:07 AM »
Pity. Crosley, RIP (rust in piece).
  Is this what you're taking about?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_HUZSk8c2c
               I used to repair MK56 GFCS RADAR
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 08:46:11 AM by dab147315 »

Offline def

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 10:08:30 PM »
Well, similar but different.

My last duty station was aboard CA-148, USS Newport News, a Des Moines class heavy cruiser. I started out making coffee for the Fox Div sailors in the port side amplidyne room, aft. My shipmates soon realized I had no coffee making skills so, they turned me loose on the MK 56 RADAR systems. A well tuned MK 56 RADAR could track and lock on to seagulls. The MK 56 RADAR was all vacuum tubes. In preparation for my first Captain's Inspection, I removed all the vacuum tubes in the system (there were dozens of them) and washed them all. The 1st class FT I reported to almost fainted when I showed him my work and how I had gotten the system looking so clean. He said, the RADAR will likely never work again. Little did he know, I had worked with vacuum tubes for years before joining the USN. Also, my USN father had developed some of the USA's first RADARS during WWII (The US had no operational shipboard RADAR when we entered the war). My Battle Station was the MK1 Fire Control Computer, aft.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 10:28:30 PM by def »